5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 9:02 AM by Olivier interfaSys

ATA Password support

KimberHazel

Hello all,

Does the DC53427HYE (or any other NUC) support ATA Password functionality, specifically in conjunction with an Intel 525 Series mSATA SSD? Either out-of-the-box or via firmware update?

Thanks in advance; Kim.

• 1. Re: ATA Password support
          sylvia_intel

Kim, according to the TPS this NUC supports Master Key and User Hard Drive Password, you will be able to check additional information on the following link  (Page 66) http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22738/eng/D53427RKE_TechProdSpec02.pdf

If you need any further  information please let me know

• 2. Re: ATA Password support
            KimberHazel

Thanks, Sylvia, that's just what I needed.

The one thing it doesn't mention is password length. On the following page it states that BIOS passwords are limited to 19 characters - do you happen to know if that applies to the ATA passwords as well? Or would it be more likely down to the individual hard drive's limitations (the specifications PDF for the 525 doesn't mention password limits either)?

Thanks again; Kim.

• 3. Re: ATA Password support
              sylvia_intel

Kim, the password need to be at least 2 characters and at most 8 characters long.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: ATA Password support
                KimberHazel

Only 8 characters? That's deeply disappointing - concerning, in fact. A password so short is little better than no password at all

Thank you again for your advice, Sylvia, you've greatly informed my purchasing decisions; Kim.

• 5. Re: ATA Password support
                  Olivier interfaSys

I just want to clarify one thing I've discovered by accident and which should help everybody looking to secure their data using a SSD which supports encryption.

Intel motherboards CANNOT define a long password, but they can decrypt and boot a hard drive which has been protected with a long password.

You first need to boot a CD with a light Linux distribution which lets you define a long password and you'll only need to use it again when you want to change the password.

Every time you reboot your computer, the Intel MB will ask you for the password and you'll be able to type your very long password and boot normally.