2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 10:42 AM by Diego_Intel

Can't boot after updating bios and forgetting to set sata to raid

randombone

I was having bsod issues with my windows 7, raid 1 (intel rst) machine and so decided to flash to the newest asus bios. I think that part went well, but when reconfiguring the bios, I neglected to change the sata data storage setting from ide to raid. In the boot device menu, I selected one of the two hdd that normally are the raid array, which didn't seem right, but anyways that's what I did. It booted to windows 7, and showed a dialog that was installing drivers for the hdd and listing them separtely. I went oops, and then noticed that Intl RST was offline.

Recalling that bios setting that I'd skipped, I went back to the bios and set sata to RAID and boot device to that RAID. Now it won't boot. Boot Device Manager Windows failed to start file: \boot\bcd

I tried booting to the windows 7 dvd and initiating a repair, but that didn't succeed. It went like this:

Boot with windows dvd

Choose Repair System recovery options does "searching for windows installations

Then, windows found problems with your computer's startup options. Detail shows bootmgr will be repaired

Then "Failed to save startup options"

Then "re-image your computer" with "attach last of backup set etc" which I don't have.

I then changed back to sata ide, and the windows 7 dvd was willing to boot from either of the two disks after repairing. I did not boot to either disk...wasn't sure if I was digging myself into a deeper hole.

How do I back out of this error? Ideally I'd like to get the raid 1 array back to it's role as the boot device.

• 1. Re: Can't boot after updating bios and forgetting to set sata to raid
          Fernando

Hello randombone,

as you have already realized yourself, it was a big mistake after flashing the new BIOS to restart the system in IDE mode, although your HDDs were still members of a RAID1 array.

Solution:

Since you have destroyed the boot sector of your system drive, you should continue your efforts to get it repaired.

If this should not be possible, you may have to break the existing RAID array, then to recreate it and to reinstall the OS from scratch.

In case of a future BIOS update you should do it this way:

1. Before you are going to flash a new BIOS into the related Chip of your mainboard, you should enter the BIOS and set everything to "DEFAULT".
          2. Then you can flash the new BIOS.
          3. After the flashing procedure you should power off the computer for a while (1 minute will be enough).
          4. As an additional security action you may clean the CMOS according your mainboard manual.
          5. Then power on your computer, enter the BIOS, choose the "Optimized Settings" and set the SATA Controller to "RAID". Store the BIOS settings and reboot.
          6. Hit CTRL+I while rebooting and check the integrity of your RAID array.
          7. Enter the BIOS again and do your special BIOS settings inclusive the BOOT order (boot devices and HDD boot priority). Store the altered settings and reboot.
          8. Now you should be able to boot into the previously running Operating System.

Good luck!

Fernando

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't boot after updating bios and forgetting to set sata to raid
            Diego_Intel

One thing you can try is this:

Having the system in RAID mode, boot to the RAID option ROM via Control+I, then set all disks that were part of the original RAID 1 to non RAID. (You will get a message that the data may be deleted, however as this was a RAID 1 volume you may disregard the message).

Now that each drive is set as a standalone drive, try booting to one of the drives. Once you are able to boot to any of them, then migrate that configuration, which we call "RAID ready" to a RAID 1 again. For this use the information on the user guide on page 30 under "RAID-Ready to 2-drive RAID 1":

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

Before doing any of this, be sure to back up all your data to prevent any data loss.