3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 5:27 AM by arduino_4_life

Ports on Intel® Galileo board

intel_jorge

In addition to being Arduino HW and SW compatible, the Intel® Galileo development board has several PC industry standard I/O ports and features to expand native usage and capabilities beyond the Arduino shield ecosystem. A full sized mini-PCI Express slot, 100Mb Ethernet port, Micro-SD slot, RS-232 serial port, and 8MByte NOR flash come standard on the board. Note: The core operating voltage of Galileo is 3.3V. However, a jumper on the board enables voltage translation to 5V at the I/O pins. This provides support for 5V Uno shields and is the default behavior. By switching the jumper position, the voltage translation can be disabled to provide 3.3V operation at the I/O pins. The input range of the analog inputs remains from ground to 5V regardless of the jumper position. Of course, the Galileo board is also SW compatible with the Arduino SW Development Environment, which makes usability and introduction a easy.

• 1. Re: Ports on Intel® Galileo board
          lanceseidman

I want this, NOW!

This makes me feel like we can pop a BLE using 3.3V on RX/TX to then put on a Quadcopter with a CMOS 640x480 RES Camera to send to an App on Windows Phone, Android, or iOS. Better yet, with the Linux or Windows Embedded (new version/tools came to us Microsoft Developers/Partners) you can now add a Solar Panel for Power with a few Li-Po's then run a small daemon to Tether via Bluetooth your Mobile Phone OR some providers have little WiMAX or SIM-Internet Connected Devices that can be tethered/connected via Ethernet or 802.11/b/g/n...

See where I am going? A drone using Solar that uses low-level Bluetooth, small Linux distro to run a WiFi Hotspot and keep in the air with a pre-charged Li-Po and re-charge using 3.3V (or 5V) LiPo re-charger to keep the small Quadcopter in the air giving places like the Super Bowl, Basketball Stadiums, Football/Fut-ball/Soccer, or Outside/Inside Concerts multiple little flying drones that based on level of light using something like a Photo-resistor. Why? To make the bot Artificially Intelligent and constantly go towards/stay at the best lit spots to ensure great re-charge or a constant charge if not just being able to fly in general offering fans/outgoing people access to Free WiFi.

I want this Arduino compatible board already, just sneak it my way Intel... No one will know, till they see the projects on TechMeShow or my Blog...

Good luck in the Maker world!

- Lance Seidman

Twitter: @LanceSeidman

Blog: http://lance.compulsivetech.biz

YouTube: http://youtube.com/techmeshow

GitHub: http://github.com/lanceseidman

• 2. Re: Ports on Intel® Galileo board
            burak

Hi,

I have a question  regarding to the jumper position. As far as I understand IOREF is used to select operating voltage, so can I use 3.3v output pin of the board for selecting the IOREF or it must be external source,otherwise how can I do it?

I couldn't find any informatioın or example, therefore I asked here.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Ports on Intel® Galileo board
              arduino_4_life

Hi burak,

the 'IOREF' pin is actually an output pin. It's there so a shield or external piece of hardware can sense which IO level the Galileo board is on (3.3/5v). You have a choice of 2 IIO levels, 3,3v and 5v, which are controlled by the IOREF jumper

Erik