7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 10:27 AM by Diego_Intel

Power button without monitor

nsleigh

We are using a DC3217IYE as a headless device without a monitor and running Windows 7. If a monitor is connected the power button shuts down Windows but if one is not connect the power button doesn't do anything. Is there anyway around this or is it by design?

• 1. Re: Power button without monitor
          Diego_Intel

Have you tried if the system goes off with no monitor attached while being in the system BIOS? basically try the same shut down process you are doing now but out of Microsoft* Windows* 7 environment.

I just tried this in a demo system inside the BIOS and into Ubuntu and the power button in the NUC works regardless a monitor is connected or not.

• 2. Re: Power button without monitor
            nsleigh

Same result. I connected a monitor, went in to the BIOS and press power to shutdown. I then disconnected the monitor and powered up the device to windows. Now the power button doesn't shutdown windows (if I press and hold it it turns off the device). When you say it works in Ubuntu is it actually shutting down the OS or simply powering off the device?

• 3. Re: Power button without monitor
              Diego_Intel

Within the BIOS, navigating in the system BIOS setup, I can disconnect the monitor, then press the power button and the device will shut down (I confirm this by plugging the monitor back in and the system is quiet at that moment).

Within the operating system, with the monitor connected, I press the power button and the operating system prompts me for what I would like to do (shutdown, restart, sleep, etc.)

Within the operating system, I disconnect the monitor, then with the monitor disconnected, I press the power button, then I reconnect the monitor to see what is happening and what I see is that the operating system prompts me again for what I would like to do (shutdown, restart, sleep, etc.), just as with the monitor being connected.

Checking my configuration, my BIOS version is 0040

• 4. Re: Power button without monitor
                nsleigh

That is not quite the same, you need to power up without a monitor after that the power button doesn't work. To see it you would need to configure the OS to shut down on the power switch rather than prompt. (I find unless you power on with a monitor you cannot connect one later and see the display either.)

• 5. Re: Power button without monitor
                  Diego_Intel

Just tried again with Microsoft* Windows* 7 x32, and the system powers on and powers down regardless a monitor is connected or not. With a monitor disconnected I can see the system shutting down by just pressing the power switch in the device.

I also tested with no monitor attached, then giving enough time for the operating system to fully load, I connect a display, then press the power button and the device shuts down too. So I am not being able to replicate this.

• 6. Re: Power button without monitor
                    nsleigh

My mistake - I hadn't realized there was a message being displayed on the PC as it doesn't detect the monitor after power on. Once I sorted that out it worked perfectly, sorry for wasting your time.

• 7. Re: Power button without monitor
                      Diego_Intel

Hey! I am glad you were able to find the cause on this. Thank you for the feedback, I believe that is the main reason for the communities, so a customer with a similar behavior/issue will benefit from the solution you have just provided.