4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 4:10 PM by sylvia_intel

NUC with two high resolution displays?

David_Epping

Hi,

I would like to equip thin clients with NUC boards. However we have the requirement to drive two large displays per client.

Does the NUC D53427RKE (or any other NUC) support dual indpendent / two Displays with a resolution of 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz each? Both natively conncted to DisplayPort.

The documentation mentiones only Tripple Display and with that it is not possible:

Table 5. Triple Display Configuration Resolutions
      DisplayPort
      2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz
      DisplayPort
      1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz
      HDMI
      1080P at 60 Hz

I don't need the HDMI connection. Will that allow the second display port monitor to go up to 2560 x 1600 as well?
      Any experiences or additional documentation pointers would be great, because that information is clearly missing from the document I found.
      Thanks, David

Message was edited by: David Epping Since the relpy function seems broken in any browser I tried (Ubuntu 12.04 with Firefox, Konqueror and Chrome) I have to add a comment this way: The configuration I described with D53427RKE and two Dell U2713HM works in maximum resolution 1256x1440@60Hz on both monitors simultaneously in extended desktop and clone mode. HDMI is not connected. This is using Ubuntu 12.04. Thanks for all your thoughts on this.

• 1. Re: NUC with two high resolution displays?
          Wolfi

Hi David,

I don't think that it will be possible to drive two 2560x1600 screens with the DC53427. I got it and am currently having problems to even recreate the setup mentioned in the documentation of the DC53427 (See here https://communities.intel.com/message/207071 )

Would be nice if someone from Intel could nonetheless test if it is actually possible to drive two 2560x1600 displays or not.

• 2. Re: NUC with two high resolution displays?
            David_Epping

Hi Wolfi,

yes, I read your thread before posting my question.

I don't know if the three and two display setups are at all comparable. It could be some limitation to the video framebuffer memory or computational resource, and thus removing one output might free up enough resource to drive two monitors at full resolution. It may or may not

From Intel support I got the answer that it will work (two emails because I insistent on an answer that states the high resolution in combination with both monitors using it; The latest reply explicitly states it should be possible. I don't know on which data this answer is based (I don't think it was an actual test right that moment) but for me this is sufficient to actually buy an "old" Ivy Bridge NUC and test it (I have the monitors already). Worst case I got myself a way to powerful XBMC player

I will report back in this thread, but due to travel I will not be able to test before 11/15.

"In dual display mode the system will support the maximum resolution of the smallest screen; if you have 2 monitors of exact same size then it will support the same resolution in both monitors.

The table 5 on the Technical Product Specification refers to a limitation only on triple display configuration."

"The graphics controller supports this resolution 2560 x 1600, so if both of your monitors support this same resolution, then it will work OK."

• 3. Re: NUC with two high resolution displays?
              sylvia_intel

David, I already asked if the NUC is capable to provide the 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz resolution using the 2 Display Ports at the same time.

We know that each one supports that resolution, but according to the user Woldi on thread  https://communities.intel.com/message/207071,  he was able to set the full 2560x1440 resolution on one screen and the other at 1920x1200, but he couldn't get both at 2560x1440.

Once I receive this information I will let you know.

• 4. Re: NUC with two high resolution displays?
                sylvia_intel

David, both displays will not hit the max resolution of 2560x1600.