Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

No fog rendered in Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 with HD Graphics 4600 on Windows XP

SPova
Beginner

I'm using the latest graphics driver 14.56.0.5441 and Intel HD Graphics 4600 on Windows XP SP3. The game Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (2002) does not render fog, unless I use a third-party program, 3D-Analyze 3.26, to force software transorm-and-lighting in the game, which makes fog appear. This means that there is a certain bug in the graphics driver's implementation of hardware TnL. Any chance of getting this fixed sometime?

Please note that you need to turn "special effects" to max in the game's settings to make the game try to render fog.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

This video controller has only compatibility and drivers for Microsoft* Windows* 7 and Microsoft* Windows* 8. hence, using Microsoft* Windows* XP would be a not compatible platform that may have limited capabilities such as the one you are seeing.

Please test using a compatible operating system with the generic driver from our site.

0 Kudos
SPova
Beginner

Thanks for replying. Could you clarify, if this means that this driver, officially released as recently as June 2013, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22875 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22875 is not supported at all now? Besides Windows XP SP3, I have a copy of Windows XP Embedded installed on another logical disk, where the game, of course, suffers from the same issue. Does this make me eligible for support as a user of embedded graphics or not?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

As the release notes of the driver states "the Intel® HD Graphics driver for Windows* XP is advocated for 4th Generation Intel® Core™ processor graphics embedded designs. It is not Plan of Record, and is not validated or supported for traditional client designs."

For end user usage, this video controller is only supported for Microsoft* Windows* 7 and Microsoft* Windows* 8.

0 Kudos