6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 8:53 AM by sylvia_intel

DX58SO not reading memory (3 beep code) will not post

Freeman0729

I have a DX58SO with a Corsair TX750 PSU, 5750 GPU, i7-940 bloomfield and currently using the Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9/2G   x2.

My issue is on the RAM. The MOBO will not read Triple channel ram in the blue slots. When the blue slots are populated with the 2gb ram modules, the unit would not POST, only black screen. So I updated BIOS and the same issue occurs only now with the 3 beeps indicating memory issues.

The unit will only post with 1 of the 2 following RAM slots populated:

Black channel A DIMM 1  & Blue slot Channel A DIMM 0 =  STARTS JUST FINE

or

Blue slot channel A DIMM 0 = STARTS JUST FINE

The unit will POST in either configuration but when I populate the extra RAM slots the unit does not POST. I have tried booting the unit outside of the casing and have checked the RAM individually. Can anyone help?

I'm hoping this issue can be resolved here. I have read a bunch of threads that end in no conclusion / closed threads.

• 1. Re: DX58SO not reading memory (3 beep code) will not post
          sylvia_intel

Freeman0729, I would like to inform you that this motherboard has been out of support since June, 2013.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034322.htm

The behavior you are experiencing could be related to the speed of the memory since it is 1333MHz. 

The i7-940 processor does not support XMP, so it cannot be over clocked since it is being limited by the memory controller hub.  The only CPUs that can be over clocked are the extreme or unlocked processors such as the i7-965, I7-975, i7-980x and the i7-990x.

You may want to try using 2 blue slots in order to check if the processor is able to handle dual channel.

Also try to test all memory sticks on a functioning DIMM just to make sure all RAM works OK.

I would recommend you to check the system using DDR3-800/1066 memory type. The following link will show you the memory specifications for your processor http://ark.intel.com/products/37148/Intel-Core-i7-940-Processor-8M-Cache-2_93-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI?q=940.

• 2. Re: DX58SO not reading memory (3 beep code) will not post
            Freeman0729

Thank you for the reply but I'm not sure you understood the question.

I understand the board is no longer supported thus posting my question on the forum section for help and not calling Intel. The problem I am having does not relate to "overclocking". My post stated that I was having issues with using the boards settings at its most basic. The RAM configuration doesn't work on the blue slots with multiple modules. As stated, these are the only configurations my board will stat up in:

Black channel A DIMM 1  & Blue slot Channel A DIMM 0 =  STARTS JUST FINE

or

Just Blue slot channel A DIMM 0 = STARTS JUST FINE

Triple channel ram does not work. Double channel does not work.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: DX58SO not reading memory (3 beep code) will not post
              sylvia_intel

The memory you are using is not under specifications, therefore you may get any on these two scenarios:

1st.  The processor by default down clocks the memory speed to 800/1066 MHz and the voltage to 1.5v. This configuration will be good for the processor but we don't know if your memory responds properly to it and eventually it will give you performance and stability issues.

2nd.  The SPD (Serial Presence Detect) chip of the memory forces the MCH (memory controller hub) of the processor to match the native memory settings. If this happens, the processor will be forced to amplify the voltage needed by the memory and to sync the speed requested by the memory as well. In this case, this customization will end up with processor damage and Intel won't provide warranty to any processor failure caused by customizations. Even if the voltage of the memory is 1.5 volts but the bus clock is still high the MHC is forced to cycle at a clock speed it is not designed for.

If configuring the memory manually to match the native memory settings or selecting an XMP profile, the processor is immediately over clocked and it is expected to have problems.

As I recalled on thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/30806, the memory is double-sided based on x16 and this type of organization is not supported by the motherboard.   http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/kvr1333d3n9_2g.pdf    

You can verify that information on the TPS of the board on pag 15.http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18128/eng/DX58SO_TechProdSpec.pdf

Finally if you think the issue is related to the motherboard, you may contact our Warranty Department so they can help you to replace the unit if it is still under warranty : http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

Regards.

• 4. Re: DX58SO not reading memory (3 beep code) will not post
                Freeman0729

sylvia_intel,

Just picked up some 800/1066 MHz ram and triple channel or filling a 4 slots still does not work.

It's the board.

• 5. Re: DX58SO not reading memory (3 beep code) will not post
                  tjg79

As a last attempt before you condemn the board, you should remove the CMOS battery (and replace the battery if it's old) for a day then do a Recovery BIOS update with the latest BIOS version. Also, check the product manual to ensure that any jumpers are properly configured. Make sure your BIOS is in a default setting mode for resolving the memory issue.

Also, check the capacitors on the board. Electrolytic capacitors degrade with age and heat. The best way to check the caps in circuit is with an ESR meter. Some defective caps may have visible indications of leaking and swelling and some may not. That's why the most effective test is the ESR meter. Recapping a motherboard is not unusual.

Do a Google search for more information on what I mentioned.

Regards

• 6. Re: DX58SO not reading memory (3 beep code) will not post
                    sylvia_intel

Freeman0729, would you might to provide me the model number for this memory?