10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 5:37 PM by jiri

Celeron NUC

Ronellisr63

I have 2 i3 NUCs and I just purchased a Celeron NUC last month... The Celeron NUC has a loud fan noise. I went into the Bios and changed the time to 40% but it is still noisy... My i3 NUCs are dead silent with the same settings. Is this common with the Celeron?

tia,

Ron

• 1. Re: Celeron NUC
          JasonHoffman

Hi Ron,

My Celeron NUC is pretty much silent so I wouldn't consider loud fan noise normal.  Even under heavy load I don't hear much from it.  Can you compare the fan control settings on the Celeron to the i3?  I'm curious to see if anything is set differently.

I have an i3 and when I started playing around with the fan control I got it to the point where it was pretty noisy.  When I set everything back to the original settings it went back to being super quiet. I made the changes initially because I was concerned about overheating but I've never had a lock up or heat-related problem on either of them.

I hope this helps!

Jason

• 2. Re: Celeron NUC
            Ronellisr63

I just checked my Celeron NUC and the settings are 40, 40, 13. With this I have a temp of 64c, and a fan speed of 6398. On the i3 NUC I have it set at 40, 40, 8. With this setting I get a temp of 54c and a fan speed of 6398... But a dead silent PC (I can barely tell it is even running with my ear next to it).

My noise is a loud enough to where I can hear it over 10' away.

• 3. Re: Celeron NUC
              JasonHoffman

Ron,

I contacted someone on the NUC team and they tested a Celeron NUC with the settings you're using.  They noticed a slight increase in the fan noise: "I had 3 other people listen and they said the Celeron NUC fan was slightly ‘louder’ mostly due to a higher pitch coming from it." They recommended you switch to the default temp settings as the one you're using is very low. With the default settings the fan should be much quieter.

Thanks.

Jason

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Celeron NUC
                Ronellisr63

Hi Jason,

I used the sound meter app on my Android and this is what I got...

Current setting::56DB right next to the NUC

Fixed setting: 30DB right next to the NUC (fan speed was 4100 and temp was 56c

i3 is dead silent with my ear next to it, plus cold to the touch.

It is def much quieter and in my current room setup not noticeable from our listening position.

Will this be cool enough?

tia,

Ron

• 5. Re: Celeron NUC
                  JasonHoffman

Ron,

I run my Celeron with the defaults and haven't had an issue with heat at all.  I put it under heavy load sometimes and it hasn't had a hiccup.  Of course I can't guarantee anything but I believe if you still with the default settings you should be 100% fine.

Thanks.

Jason

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Celeron NUC
                    Ronellisr63

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info... I also put in a request for the Pads to keep the temp down. I have them on both my i3 NUCs and they are running bone cold and dead silent. I think they will give me the self assurance of keeping it cold. Interesting that whatever setting it came set at was much louder than it is now with the fixed setting (still not as quiet as I wish it was but I think I can live with it).

Ron

• 7. Re: Celeron NUC
                      jiri

Hi,

I recently got myself a NUC with Celeron 847. With the default fan speed settings in BIOS, it is annoyingly noisy even when it sits idling.

I ended up adjusting the minimum fan speed from default 40% to 20% (with 4% increase per degree above 60 degrees C). Now it is silent except for periods of heavy load which is rare (and OK with me).

I am surprised when I hear so many folks saying that the NUC is almost silent even under heavy load. Mine is definitely not. So my question is:

With the "60C - 20% - 4%/C" setting, do I risk frying the CPU or something else inside the box?

I did not install mSATA or a wifi card. Just RAM (Kingston 4Gb). I boot Linux from external SSD via USB. When I run the linux stress test for 5 minutes, the box feels warm on top but not really hot.

I keep the computer on all the time and do not like the idea of an overheating system at home while I am away. So I want to check if my fan speed settings pose risk.

Thanks!

Jiri

• 8. Re: Celeron NUC
                        jiri

Well nobody replied so I guess my (60-20-4) fan speed settings are ok. Meantime I resolved the last issue (booting from external USB enclosure with SSD), installed XBMC and really enjoy the way this thing works :-) . It is a home server, media center and backup-PC all in one! Just watched the 1984 Monaco Grand Prix... what a feat... oh you would not understand ;-)

• 9. Re: Celeron NUC
                          sylvia_intel

Jiri, please make sure there is not dust on the fan.

For any chance, is this NUC installed behind a TV or a monitor?

• 10. Re: Celeron NUC
                            jiri

Hi Sylvia,

Nope it is not installed behind anything, just sitting on a desk.

I took it apart. It looks new and clean. I was also looking if there was a loose wire hitting the fan perhaps but everything looks ok.

I guess it is just one noisy fan (when running above 20% anyway...)

Jiri