Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel Wireless Troubleshooter - An Administrator profile... DHCP Server

CAUTE
New Contributor I

Intel Wireless Troubleshooter keeps throwing an error saying that an Administrator profile failed to obtain an IP address from the DHCP Server.

To try and make the errors go away, I did the following:

Assigned static IP addresses to all active adapters: wired, wireless, and bluetooth.

Disabled the two Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapters...

To my knowledge, there is nothing left on the system that should be issuing a DHCP IP address request...

I THOUGHT maybe I had a problem with the DHCP Server on my router... and I may have, BUT with the changes I have made, I should not be seeing this error should I?

Here are some images...

And...

PS - I do NOT have a connection issue... My wireless is connecting just fine...

12 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Cautery, kindly provide more information such as the wireless adapter model, driver version, security type and operating system.

Has this ever worked properly in the past?

CAUTE
New Contributor I

Computer - Dell Latitude E6540 with 4th Gen i7 4800MQ

Wireless Adapter - Intel Advanced-N 6235 w/ Bluetooth

Driver Version (Dell-Supplied) - v15.9.0.5 (I updated it to the latest Intel driver for the 6235, but it did it with the latest driver, too.)

Security Type - WPA2/PSK w/ AES

OS - Windows 7 Professional SP1 (fully updated)

Not sure what you mean "worked properly", but no, it has been throwing these errors since Day 1... Now, event viewer WAS throwing DHCP errors, but these stopped AFTER I assigned static IPs to everything... Now everything has a static IP (including the virtual mini-port adapters now...) and the events stopped in the event viewer, but the Intel Wireless Troubleshooter is still throwing them, AND the time/date continues to indicate NEW occurrences vs. reporting history.

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Is this profile generated on the same computer or was it imported from a different one?

You may try a complete uninstall of Intel® Proset Software, delete existing settings and directories below, restart the system, and then reinstall the software again making sure you create a new profile.

C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Intel

C:\ProgramData\Roaming\Intel*

C:\ProgramData\Intel*

CAUTE
New Contributor I

First profile created on a brand new Win 7 Pro install on a brand new Dell Latitude E6540.

I have done 30 at least complete uninstalls of Intel ProSet Wireless, deleting driver software, and settings, AND additional HDD and registry cleaning up to and including wipe out any reference to Intel period.

In addition to this very annoying DHCP error... which is mostly just annoying as all get out, I have been TRYING to get the Ultimate-N 6300 card to install to ABSOLUTELY NO AVAIL. (Dell supported on this exact computer). I'll tell you what... since my last Latitude laptop (D830), Dell support has turned to pure crap...

And this whole "gotta be a card that is specifically approved by the computer manufacturer, whitelists and black lists, and on and on... Big Brother is in charge, BS is for the birds... If a wireless card meets FCC specs, then I should be able to put it in any dang machine I want to...

Of course, in THIS case, the card IS approved for my machine and it STILL won't work...

And NO MATTER WHAT card is installed, it keeps giving me these stupid DHCP errors for the wireless card EVEN WHEN it has a STATIC IP set....

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

In case this is a profile settings issue you may try creating a new profile package with the Administrator Tool and include the default settings for all tabs for the package. Then, run the package after saving it.

I guess you have also tested a different driver version. As a workaround you may simply disable the notifications in Application Settings or manage the WiFi connection with Windows* Wireless Zero Configuration instead of Intel® Proset software.

Regarding the integration of the wireless adapter, the complete system including chassis, wireless adapter and antennas must be FCC certified by the system manufacturer.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031167.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Why doesn't my laptop recognize my new Intel� wireless adapter?

CAUTE
New Contributor I

I will try the Admin Tool to create a package...

I have tried every driver available, both Intel and Dell... all have the same result.

Disabling the Intel notifications will stop that app from issuing notifications, but the Event 1001 will STILL be showing up as an error in Windows Event Viewer...

...which doesn't bode well for letting windows manage the wireless... latest error was 8:36 AM this morning.

RE: the chassis, adapter, antenna combo FCC cert... Big Brother bullcrap... same as California making gun manufacturers pay a fee to test every single model of a certain firearm... to include every color, finish, barrel length, grips, sights, etc... It's a money making scam for the government...

MFili6
Novice

I am having exactly the same problem as Cautery

I also

Assigned static IP addresses to all active adapters: wired, wireless, and bluetooth.

Disabled the two Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapters...

expect for bluetooth (my laptop doesn't have bluetooth).

wireless adapter model: Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMAX 6150 (disabled) and Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 6150.

driver version: 15.11.0.7.

security type: WPA2-personal (with AES encryption).

operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1.

Device Manager shows the following Network Adapters:

Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMAX 6150 (disabled)

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 6150

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (disabled)

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (disabled)

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (unplugged)

When I click "Show hidden devices" more Network Adapters appear:

Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMAX 6150 - VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Miniport

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 6150 - VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Miniport

Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter # 2

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter # 3

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter # 4

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter # 5

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter # 6

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter # 7

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter - VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Miniport

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 2 - VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Miniport

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Miniport

Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter

WAN Miniport (IKEv2)

WAN Miniport (IP)

WAN Miniport (IPv6)

WAN Miniport (L2TP)

WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)

WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

WAN Miniport (PPTP)

WAN Miniport (SSTP)

I have some questions about the message:

An administrator profile failed to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server

What is an "administrator profile"?

What does "failed to obtain an IP address" mean in this context? -- A profile doesn't obtain an IP address, a socket obtains an IP address.

What "DHCP server"? My ISP's DHCP server? My NAT router's DHCP server? Windows 7 DHCP server?

May I also add that this is the worst forum I've ever experienced. I can't believe you expect people to write HTML. Why don't you make this plain text?

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

Here is some additional information and recommendations that can help you resolve the error: An administrator profile failed to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server.

- This message indicates that the WiFi adapter failed to get a valid IP address. This can occur due to an authentication failure with the network, the wireless security password or encryption key does not match the one used by the access point. Other causes are: the wireless network requires a static IP address; there is a problem with the DHCP server; or, a general network problem.

- We found this thread in the Dell forums, in this case, the user had to reboot the modem itself, rebooting the wireless access point was not enough:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19492942 Wifi issue with Dell L501x - Networking, Internet, Wireless Forum - Networking, Internet, Wireless - Dell Community

- According to the Intel® PROSet/Wireless troubleshooting guide, to clear this message in standard user systems, you should contact your network administrator to help set up your wireless connection (recreate the profile).

- Another recommendation is to try the following steps:

1. Double click the Intel PROSet/Wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen.

2. From the Tools menu, click Administrator Tool.

3. Select the appropriate Administrator Profile from the profiles list.

4. Click Properties. The Wireless Profile Properties – General Settings page opens

5. Click Next. The Wireless Profile Properties – Security Settings page is opens.

6. Edit the credentials such as WEP keys and certificates.

7. Click OK. The profile is now re-applied. Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless attempts to connect to the wireless network.

- Administrator Profiles are the ones managed by the network administrator. These profiles can be exported to other computers. These profiles are common or shared by all users on the computer.

For further information, please check the legacy adapter user guides:

http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/intel_prosetwireless_software_v120_xp_user_guide.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/intel_prosetwireless_software_v120_xp_user_guide.pdf

http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2200bg/sb/2915abg_ug.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2200bg/sb/2915abg_ug.pdf

0 Kudos
MFili6
Novice

Hello Jonathan,

You wrote: "- This message indicates that the WiFi adapter failed to get a valid IP address."

I'm not sure this makes sense to me. My Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 6150 is hardwired (static IP) to 192.168.0.2.

You wrote: "3. Select the appropriate Administrator Profile from the profiles list."

After I created a password (why did I have to do this? I don't know, but it was required if I wanted to proceed), I'm presented with a dialog titled "Open Administrator Package". There is no profiles list.

You wrote: "...managed by the network administrator..."

This is my personal computer at home. This is not a corporate environment. I'm the network admin.

My WiFi works fine. I just get these "An administrator profile failed to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server" error entries that make no sense. I would paste my settings here, but whoever wrote the Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility had the excellent poor taste to make none of it's Connection Details select/copyable. So I had to type them into here manually...

Adapter MAC Address: 40:25:C2:58:BC:64

Band: 802.11g

Number of Antennas in Use: 2

Supported Data Rates: 1, 2, 5.5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48 and 54 Mbps

Radio Frequency: 2.462 GHz

Channel Number: 11

Network Authentication: WPA2-Personal

Data Encryption: AES - CCMP

802.1X Authentication Type: None

802.1X Authentication Protocol: None

CCX Version: 4.0.0

Current Tx Power: ~32 mW (100%)

Supported Power Levels: 1.0 mW - 32.0 mW

Access Point MAC Address: 84:1B:5E:AD:3E:5A

Mandatory Access Point: None

AP Signal Strength: -45 dBm

Why am I getting these "An administrator profile failed to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server" error entries???? ...Note that the Wireless Event Viewer shows nothing -- it's totally blank. ...Note that, when I get the notice that something is wrong (white popup just after Windows desktop appears) and I click on it, the Intel Wireless Troubleshooter says: "The Intel Wireless Troubleshooter helps you resolve wireless connection issues. Currently there are no issues reported." None of this makes any sense to me. (Perhaps it is all just brain-dead stupid Intel f**kups).

0 Kudos
MFili6
Novice

You wrote: "http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/intel_prosetwireless_software_v120_xp_user_guide.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/intel_prosetwireless_software_v120_xp_user_guide.pdf"

I'm not using XP. I'm running Win7/64.

As I wrote above: "operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1."

You wrote: "http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2200bg/sb/2915abg_ug.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2200bg/sb/2915abg_ug.pdf"

I don't have that adapter.

As I wrote above:"wireless adapter model: Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMAX 6150 (disabled) and Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 6150."

0 Kudos
MFili6
Novice

Well, I'm going to give up.

To sum up:

I'm getting what appears to be a bogus error:

An administrator profile failed to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server

in an alert from Intel Wireless Troubleshooter that appears to be launched even though it says that there is no trouble. Well, I'm mystified.

Giving up, now.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello markfilipak,

If the issue persists after rebooting the access point/router, and applying the actions mentioned in the documents, then it may well be a misreported event.

You can do a clean install of the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Driver for the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6150 in Windows 7* 64 bit.

Note: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6150 driver will remain at 15.11.0.7, Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version will be 16.11.0.

1. If possible, obtain the WiFi drivers from the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support Site. As second option, you can use the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23723/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7*, version 16.11.0. File name: Wireless_16.11.0_s64.exe

2. Go to Control Panel - Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel - Device Manager - Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 6150 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager again and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, you can customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos