8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 7:30 AM by sylvia_intel

DH77EB totally unstable

jsalk

I have built quite a few PCs in my day and I have to say that the DH77EB is the most unstable motherboard I have come across.  I read early on that it is very fussy about memory.  So I ordered a matched pair of the modules that Crucial recommends for this board (they only recommend one).

Sometimes the system boots.   Sometimes not.  And once it fails, it won't even go through its bios start-up routine.  It simply does nothing.  I move the memory to different slots and sometimes I can get it to load bios.  Sometimes it will load Windows 8.  But if it does, it soon crashes.

I updated to the latest firmware for for use with Win8-64.  Still no luck. 

The longest I have ever had this computer up and running is about an hour.  Most of the time, it fails within the first minute or two and will not re-boot without moving the memory modules.  At times, I even have to remove the memory entirely to at least get the beep code for no memory.  Most of the time, I don't even get that.  The green light on the board lights up but absolutely nothing happens when I try and power up.

The only thing that is connected to the motherboard is an SSD drive to hold the operating system.

I am totally frustrated with this motherboard.

Is this the worst motherboard design of all time?

• 1. Re: DH77EB totally unstable
          jcan

check your power supply. dual core processors and boards require 12v vers2 0r 3 compliance. if power supply does not put out the intel recommended 12v v2 19 amps, you will have problems. kingwin mk 650watt or cooler master 720 watt are intel compliant power supplies.

also check ssd for a short or swap with good known ssd

• 2. Re: DH77EB totally unstable
            jsalk

This is for a fanless design.  So power supplies like those are not appropriate.

However, I have tested it with two different power supplies so far, including a standard 400-watt ATX supply (with a fan) that is rated at 22 - 25 amps.

- Jim

• 3. Re: DH77EB totally unstable
              jsalk

I completely disconnected the SSD - no change.

- Jim

• 4. Re: DH77EB totally unstable
                sylvia_intel

Jsalk, it looks like you already performed some excellent troubleshooting, however lest try something else before we can decide to replace the motherboard.

• Please remove the CMOS battery and leave the system without it for about an hour. Then put it back and restart the system.
                • Which is the model number of the memory and processor you are using?
                • Please change the BIOS configuration jumper to position 2 and 3 and restart the system.

Please let me know the results.

• 5. Re: DH77EB totally unstable
                  jsalk

I tried removing the battery and re-setting the bios jumper. The system reported a CMOS checksum error.  Once the clock was re-set, the board began to fire up and asked me to move the bios jumper back to the original position.  The board then got past POST and began loading Windows.  It crashed before the load was complete and would not go into POST after that.  Basically, the result was the same as before.

As for memory, I am using Crucial DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •   •  Part #: CT2KIT51264BA160B, which is recommended for this board. The processor I am using is the Intel i5-3570K.

- Jim

• 6. Re: DH77EB totally unstable
                    sylvia_intel

Can you restart the system and try to go to the BIOS? I need you check which is the current BIOS version.

We may want to try a BIOS update if needed

• 7. Re: DH77EB totally unstable
                      jsalk

Thinking that the bios might be the problem, I upgraded to the most recent bios version on the Intel support site.  No change.

Just to insure that there was no problem with the processor, power supply or memory, I transferred all the components to an Asus P8Z77-M motherboard.  It fired right up and ran for 24 hours straight with no issues.

- Jim

• 8. Re: DH77EB totally unstable
                        sylvia_intel

Jim, which BIOS version did the system used to have?

If the motherboard is still under warranty please get in touch with our Warranty Department so they can help you to replace the unit: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport