4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 3:07 AM by Fernando

intel HD 2000

aceX7

Hi guys, seems a little silly i know, and i understand there is a slim possibility my theory here will be correct, but none the less, i am here asking.

Will a Mobile Intel® QM87 Chipset fit in the socket of my existing Intel HD 2000 on my old Dell Vostro 1520. It may be also worth noting i am running an intel core duo (duel core 2.4GHz) with 3 GB of ram on win 7, trying to make this, what was my first computer gifted to me by my parents who clearly had no idea what i would be using this computer for, one Christmas morning about 3 years ago. Yes it still works, yes it still runs word, and the interwebs but it really doesnt do much more than that. What i want it to do, is at very least basic videogames, i mean, common 800x600, running World Of Tanks on absolute minimum graphics, at 7 fps??? not playable. Yes i have done everything, and my most recent act was to format the hdd, and reinstall windows. yes it sped up rather significantly, i now achieve 9 fps!!!! still, cant really play it. So, here i am, i have a new, better desktop i built my self, but every now and then, its nice to go to the lake, or even have something for when i am swapping parts in my pc because i accidentally melted an I7 (not that it has ever happened, but minor stuff like an hdd dieing on me and needing to get a new one).

encase you couldn't pull my cryptic question out of that, here it is nice and simple, can i put a Mobile Intel® QM87 Chipset into the place of my Intel HD 2000 graphics chipset, without issues? (we are well passed warranty on this pc, iv had every individual piece in my hand, including the graphics chipset)))

• 1. Re: intel HD 2000
          aceX7

oh, i guess my question may still not be clear, are the pins on the chipsets the same, and if not, what are my options for something that will fit

• 2. Re: intel HD 2000
            Fernando

aceX7 schrieb:

oh, i guess my question may still not be clear, are the pins on the chipsets the same, and if not, what are my options for something that will fit

What you intend to do will not work at all.

You obviously are mixing the chipset of a mainboard with the CPU integrated graphics adapter (iGPU). You cannot change the chipset of a system by just replacing the CPU. Furthermore the CPU socket of your old Dell Vostro 1520 is not compatible with a Haswell CPU, which needs a Socket 1150.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: intel HD 2000
              aceX7

okay, so in simple terms (i work with desktops, and real gpu's this is kinda unknown land to me) my intel HD 2000 chipset is just offloading all my graphics processing to my cpu? meaning if I want better graphic performance, i need a higher end cpu, also correct? final question, is there any sort of benifet to changing the chip at all? & is it even possible that another (more, efficient?) chip would have the same pin pattern? I know how to remove it, out of curiosity a while back pulled this whole machine apart, and it looks almost like the processor does, only the sticker on it says 'intel HD 2000 graphics chipset" or some where along those lines, instead of "intel core duo @2.4ghz" or something to that regard

• 4. Re: intel HD 2000
                Fernando

aceX7 schrieb:

so in simple terms (i work with desktops, and real gpu's this is kinda unknown land to me) my intel HD 2000 chipset is just offloading all my graphics processing to my cpu?

No, the Intel CPU of your system has an integrated small and not very powerful HD2000 graphics adapter, which will be used by the Operating System as long as you haven't inserted a discrete graphics card.

By the way: Your Dell Vostro 1520 notebook has an Mobile Intel 45 Express Chipset and not an Intel HD2000 chipset. HD2000 is the chip name of the CPU integrated graphics adapter.

aceX7 schrieb:

meaning if I want better graphic performance, i need a higher end cpu, also correct?

The easiest way to get a far better graphic performace would be to insert a discrete graphics card into the mainboard of your system and to connect your monitor to this separate graphics card, but this will not be an option with your notebook. If you want a better graphic performance, you will have to buy a complete new system with another Intel Chipset and another CPU socket. The integrated graphics adapters HD3000/4000/4600 of more actual Intel Chipsets and their CPUs (Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell) will give you a better graphic performance than your currently working CPU, but even the newest iGPU units HD5000 are not as powerful as a cheap separate graphics card.

aceX7 schrieb:

final question, is there any sort of benefit to changing the chip at all & is it even possible that another (more, efficient?) chip would have the same pin pattern?

You cannot change the CPU type (with another Socket form) or the chipset of a system without replacing the complete mainboard of your notebook.