Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

i5 2400 Will Not Turbo Boost Above Non-Turbo Speed

BHigg
Beginner

Hey all,

My i5 2400, with a stock speed of 3.1 ghz, should Turbo Boost to 3.2 ghz under full load, and to 3.4 ghz when one core is loaded (taken from the http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/CS-032278.htm Intel Core i5 Desktop Processor; Turbo boost frequency table). None of this occurs - if I run the Intel Burn Test whilst monitoring with the Intel Turbo Boost Monitor, and with CPU-Z / HWinfo64, I see a 'turbo boost' caption appear on the Intel monitor, but the CPU clock doesn't change at all (either in it or the other two programs). I have tried restricting the IBT to run on only one core, but still, 0 turbo boost increase. Temperatures are good (<50c).

Specs:

i5 2400

ASrock z77 Extreme4 (BIOS at latest)

8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X (DDR3 1333Mhz)

HD 7970

2TB Seagate WD HDD

Corsair HX750 PSU

Windows 7 x64

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

- Brody.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi HateDread,

Intel® Turbo Boost is a tool that will increase the processor speed when the system demands more power In order to complete an action faster.

The processor speed will increase depending on several factors such as the processor temperature, workload, power consumption and some others but there is no way to force the processor to increase its speed. This is because the processor has been programmed with multiple algorithms operating in parallel to manage current, power, and temperature to maximize performance and energy efficiency in an automatic way.

We have a tool called Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool that diagnoses and test the internal components of the processor and if something is wrong with it, the result will be displayed. I recommend you installing the tool that can be downloaded at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%20*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

0 Kudos
BHigg
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

I understand that the Turbo Boost feature is reliant on a variety of variables, but I cannot see why mine will never activate, under any circumstances. My PSU is new, and of a high-enough wattage, and my CPU is kept under 60 degrees in the Intel Burn Test.

What settings can I use for the Diagnostic Tool to check for the Turbo Boost feature? Everything else passes when I run it.

Regards,

- HateDread.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi HateDread,

The Turbo Boost will activate automatically when the system needs it and there is no way to force it to increase the speed on the processor. If you have run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and there are no problems with the units I recommend you testing the processor in another system in order to discard options.

0 Kudos