2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2013 2:40 PM by ais_bn

New DX79TO won't start

ais_bn

Hi,

I've just bought a new DX79TO, manufactured in may 2013. I installed a i7 3930k processor but my computer refuses to boot. When the PSU is powered on, both the power and reset switches are lit and the "L" led is solid green. When I press the power switch, the "I" led flashes red momentarily, and then all the fans are turned down, the system shutting down immediately. No led display codes are shown. The stand-by led is always off. I can't say which BIOS version I have since the computer shuts down even before it loads.

My system specs are: 1200W Corsair PSU, 16GB Kingston memory (4GB in each of the four blue slots) and a GTX 580. Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: New DX79TO won't start
          sylvia_intel

Could you please test the system out of the chassis with only the motherboard, processor, power supply, 1 memory stick and the video card? 

-Make sure the memory stick is place on DIMM #1  (label M)

dx79to.jpg

-You may want to try removing the CMOS battery and leave the system without it for about an hour. Then put it back on and restart the system. This link will give you additional information

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm?wapkw=clear+cmos+battery#datetime

-Start adding one component at the time until you find the conflicting one.

Please let me know how it goes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New DX79TO won't start
            ais_bn

Hi Sylvia, thanks for your reply.

Yes, while doing those steps, I think I managed to pinpoint the problem: either the CPU 12V line in my Corsair 1200W PSU is totally dead, or both 2x4 modular power cables (which came with the PSU) are broken. When the CPU power cable is completely disconnected from the mobo, the symptoms are exactly the same as when the cable is connected, so the CPU power cable is not transferring energy to the mobo.

I then connected an older, OCZ 650W PSU I have laying around here, plugged a memory module on DIMM1 and a video card, and voila! the mobo succesfully booted ! Most of those diagnostic leds were solid green (no reds), but since no hdd was connected, the system complained of no bootable media.

*Then* I shut down the computer, and tried to boot again (without the hdd). Unfortunately, now both the stand-by led and the "I" led are solid red, and the firs diagnostic led, "K", is green. The fans (cpu and gpu) keep spinning, but nothing beside that happens, the system again does not boot.

Please, do you have any idea what's going on? Thanks!