6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2014 11:41 AM by Gubmint

Two RST Icons in SystemTray - One Working, One Not Working

dezzo77

I was having problems with one of the 11.x releases of Rapid Storage Technology Driver, where the service would not load (as indicated by the system tray icon).  I went back to an earlier 11.x release that was known to work fine, and the issue went away for some time.

Recently, I noticed the RST driver was up to 12.x, so I upgraded to the newest 12.x version.

Unfortunately, I now have two RST icons in my system tray.

One which says "Intel RST service is not running", with a blue circle over the icon, and the other which says, "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" with a green checkmark on the icon.

If I open the one with the blue circle, I get an error: "Intel Rapid Storage Technology is trying to connect to the service."  The error does not go away until I close it.

If I open the one with the green checkmark, I'm taken directly to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology interface, and it says "Your system is functioning normally."

So, why do I have two?

How do I get rid of the old (non-working) one?

All I did was upgrade over the old driver as I've always done in the past, and I've never had this happen before.

Also, in the Programs and Features section of Control Panel, there is only one entry for Intel Rapid Storage Technology, and it is for the newer (working) 12.x version.

Windows 7 x64.

• 1. Re: Two RST Icons in SystemTray - One Working, One Not Working
          Fernando

It was not a good idea to install the RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v12.x.x.xxxx without having previously uninstalled the RST package v11,x.x.xxxx (I suspect it's v11.2.0.1006), because the driver structure and the function of the RST drivers and software has totally changed from v11.5 up due to the implementation of an additional SCSI driver named iaStorF.sys.

Generally it is no problem to install the driver itself on top of another one (it will be replaced by the OS during the next reboot), but the RST software should always been uninstalled from within the Control Panel > "Add/remove Programs", followed by a reboot, before you are going to install another RST software package.

This is how you will be able to solve your issue:

Open the Control Panel, choose the "Add/remove Programs" option and uninstall all programs named "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology". After a reboot you can reinstall the RST package you want to use.

• 2. Re: Two RST Icons in SystemTray - One Working, One Not Working
            dezzo77

Hello,

I followed the instructions, however I still have the two icons as I described in my earlier post.

• 3. Re: Two RST Icons in SystemTray - One Working, One Not Working
              Diego_Intel

If you uninstall all entries of Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology and any similar entry listed in Programs and features as Fernando suggested and then you reboot the system. Do you still get any tray icons once the system boots up again?

You could try running a registry cleaning software after the system reboot to make sure that the driver has been completely removed and then try to load the latest version again.

• 4. Re: Two RST Icons in SystemTray - One Working, One Not Working
                dezzo77

After uninstalling all instances of the driver, I restarted and I had an icon in the system tray still.

I looked in Device Manager and found that one of the 11.x versions was still installed, so I downloaded and re-installed that specific version, restarted the computer, then uninstalled it.

After that, it reverted back to Windows default driver.

I then installed the newest 12.x version driver and everything seems to be working well now.

One thing I am curious about though...

If I'm not using RAID (only AHCI) drives, so I even need the Intel RST drivers?

As my motherboard is several years old (ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe) would I get better performance by using an older driver as opposed to the current ones?

• 5. Re: Two RST Icons in SystemTray - One Working, One Not Working
                  Fernando

dezzo77 schrieb:

After uninstalling all instances of the driver, I restarted and I had an icon in the system tray still.

I looked in Device Manager and found that one of the 11.x versions was still installed, so I downloaded and re-installed that specific version, restarted the computer, then uninstalled it.

After that, it reverted back to Windows default driver.

I then installed the newest 12.x version driver and everything seems to be working well now.

Thanks for your feedbback. It's fine, that you got rid of the second RST icon within the systray. Since your problem obviously has been solved, you should mark your question as being answered.

dezzo77 schrieb:

One thing I am curious about though...

If I'm not using RAID (only AHCI) drives, so I even need the Intel RST drivers?

As my motherboard is several years old (ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe) would I get better performance by using an older driver as opposed to the current ones?

Probably not. Your P55 chipset mainboard is fully supported by the actual Intel AHCI drivers v12.x.x.xxxx. Furthermore the performance differences between the different AHCI drivers are not really remarkable. The system stability may be even more important.

• 6. Re: Two RST Icons in SystemTray - One Working, One Not Working
                    Gubmint

Here's why it happens

Usually, the RST that came bundled with your laptop is a very nasty earlier version. Even if it uninstalled via the control panel, remnants of the program remain in a file in C>PROGRAMS(X86)>INTEL>INTEL RST

When you install the updated RST in a 64 bit laptop, it does not install in C>PROGRAMS(X86)>INTEL>INTEL RST. Instead, it Installs in C>PROGRAMS(X86)>INTEL>INTEL RST. This is the correct default directory for 64 bit programs. And after installation, the RST icon will show in the toolbar.

But also, the old RST program continues to start and run because its main program file (iastorui.exe, I think) gets running whenever windows is turned on. This is located in C>PROGRAMS(X86)>INTEL>INTEL RST. However, when you click this icon to go into the RST IU, it WILL throw an error.

The Solution

Delete C>PROGRAMS(X86)>INTEL>INTEL RST on a 64 bit laptop.