1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2013 8:15 AM by kevin_intel

MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error

tjg79

I installed the Intel MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module on my motherboard running Win 7 Pro x64 and MS Office Pro 2007.

The software/drivers for the module added Bluetooth features to the Office 2007 applications.

Every time I reply to an email for the first time, I get the following pop-up error box:

Custom UI Runtime Error in Send to Bluetooth

"Error found in Custom UI XML of "Send to Bluetooth":

Line: 1

Column: 143

Error Code 0x8000405

Failed to find Office control by ID

ID: FileSendMenu"

The error box has two buttons: OK & OK to All

I can disable the pop-up error box by unchecking "Show add-in user interface errors" under "In all Microsoft Office Programs:" in Tools/Options/"Other" Tab/"Advanced Options..." button.

I'd like to know if there is a solution for this issue other than turning off the notification of the add-in user interface error?

How do I troubleshoot this issue?

I have the latest Intel drivers installed. The drivers for the Bluetooth side of the module are from Motorola and the drivers for the WLAN 802.11bgn side of the module are from Ralink.

Bluetooth Devices:

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR USB Device

Driver Provider: Motorola, Inc., Driver Date: 22-Nov-10, Driver Version: 3.0.0.285

Network adapters:

802.11bgn 1T1R Wireless Adapter

Driver Provider: Ralink, Driver Date: 27-Jul-10, Driver Version: 3.1.4.0

Bluetooth Network Adapter

Driver Provider: Motorola, Inc., Driver Date: 16-Jul-10, Driver Version: 3.0.2.266

Sound, Video and Game Controllers

Bluetooth Audio

Driver Provider: Motorola, Inc., Driver Date: 14-Oct-10, Driver Version: 3.0.2.278

Ports (COM & LPT):

Bluetooth Serial Port (COM5)

Driver Provider: Motorola, Inc., Driver Date: 30-Jul-10, Driver Version: 3.0.2.259

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards

• 1. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
          tjg79

Additional Information:

The offending driver is very likely the Bluetooth: Motorola* Bluetooth 2.1+EDR USB Device Version 3.0.2.285.

The Intel Download Center indicates it's valid for all OS and the following Intel products: DP67BG, DX58OG, DX58SO2, DX79SI, DX79SR, DX79TO, DX68BC, DX68ZV, DZ77GA-70K, DZ77RE-75K, & DZ87KLT-75K.

This driver also causes issues with Microsoft Office 2007 & 2010 applications when you copy to the clipboard then open Word and paste from the clipboard. It will copy text and paste as a black blob.

What are the chances of getting an updated driver from Motorola?

Regards

• 2. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
            kevin_intel

Hi tjg79, What is the motherboard model you have?

• 3. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
              tjg79

This module is on a DX58SO2 running Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 & MS Office 2007.

From what I've researched, the issue is also valid for Office 2010.

Regards

PS

A tech rep from the Microsoft Support Community indicated that the issue isn't resolvable if the manufacturer implemented their add-in in the wrong way. It is not a native Outlook or Windows feature. Also, to contact the manufacturer to determine if updated drivers are available.

• 4. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                kevin_intel

tjg79,

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to replicate this issue and I will be back with more information.

• 5. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                  tjg79

Thanks Kevin,

I've duplicated the issue on three boards; DX58SO2, DX79SR, and a DX58SO. Although the DX58SO is not listed as valid for the module, it works as well as the other two boards I tested.

Besides the "Send to Bluetooth" COM Add-in error box pop-up, the Bluetooth driver causes the MS Office copy text and paste a large black dot/blob/spot issue.

I read about the same Bluetooth error on another Intel board with a different Bluetooth module when I was searching for information. The other board had a Motorola driver as well.

I've seen/read enough to get the impression that Motorola needs to test their Bluetooth drivers more carefully.

Regards

• 6. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                    kevin_intel

Hi tjg79,

When you say you are replying to an email, I assume you are using the bluetooth module with Outlook 2007, is this correct?

• 7. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                      tjg79

Hi Kevin,

The module was installed with the drivers in their default mode. The driver installation installed the COM Add-in "Send to Bluetooth" enabled to all Microsoft Office applications.

I was not trying to use the Bluetooth feature. I didn't realize it was even there as an add-in. My desktop system is connected to a DSL modem via cable. I don't need Bluetooth to send an email. But, when I started Outlook and replied to an email for the first time, I got the pop-up error box pertaining to "Send to Bluetooth." Once I cleared the error box and replied to subsequent emails, I didn't get the error. But, it started again after closing and reopening Outlook.

I also noticed that if I selected some text and copied it, then opened Word and pasted, the text would paste as a picture of a large black blob. If I opened Word first and then selected text in another application (IE10 in this case), copied and pasted into Word, the text would paste as text.

I was advised by one member on the Microsoft Community Support forum that the Bluetooth feature is a known troublemaker and he advised to disable it. Another member indicated that the driver was implemented incorrectly and the maker, Motorola in this case, needs to fix their driver.

I'm able to resolve my issue with the pop-up error in Outlook and the cut and paste issue in Word, by unchecking the "Send to Bluetooth" option in the COM Add-ins in all the Microsoft Applications.

I would be nice if Motorola would fix this issue by creating an updated driver with the fix.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for your support.

Regards

• 8. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                        tjg79

One more thing.

The module and drivers were installed after the OS and MS Office application installation. I haven't checked to see if the feature would perform properly is the module and drivers were installed before the MS Office application installation.

Regards

• 9. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                          kevin_intel

Hello tjg79,

From our side we can provide the latest generic driver we have for it at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19652&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Drivers

But since you have tested it already, my best recommendation would be to contact Motorola and verify with them for any possible firmware update.

• 10. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                            tjg79

I don't know where to contact Motorola about this issue. I've checked their website and I don't see anything related to this module or the drivers.

Does Intel have a way to pass this issue to Motorola and request they fix the issue? Since this module was included as an accessory for the DX58SO2 and likely other boards, I would think Intel would have an interest in seeing that it works without issue with standard applications such as MS Office. What is listed on the Intel Download Center, Version: 3.0.2.285, is the driver that causes the issues.

Have you been able to replicate the issue?

Regards

• 11. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                              tjg79

Some additional information:

If you delete all the Intel Download Center Bluetooth drivers and software and reboot, Windows 7 will attempt to install its generic drivers. The drivers installed are as follows:

Bluetooth Radios:

Generic Bluetooth Adapter

Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver Date: 21-Jun-06, Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17889, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver Date: 21-Jun-06, Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17789, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Network Adapters:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #3

Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver Date: 21-Jun-06, Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #3

Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver Date: 21-Jun-06, Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Ports (COM & LTP):

Standard Serial over Bluetooth Link (COM5)

Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver Date: 21-Jun-06, Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Other Devices:

Bluetooth Peripheral Device  - 3 each, Windows can't find drivers for these three devices.

I went to the Broadcom website and downloaded the Bluetooth Software Download. The Broadcom software will start, but can't identify the devices.

From what I can tell, the Intel Download Center has drivers that are newer and load without "Other Devices" showing up in the Device Manager, but the software has issues with MS Office 2007 & 2010.

Regards

PS

I did find the following link pertaining to Motorola and their Bluetooth 3.0 plus High Speed Software Suite that indicates compatibility with Win 7, but not Win 8.

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/XP-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Software+and+Applications/Software+Solutions/The_Bluetooth_Software_Suite_Loc:Loc:SG-EN,XA-EN,IN-EN,MY-EN

I don't see anywhere a consumer can download a device driver. I think this product is marketed to business partners such as Intel to have the drivers and software available for their customers for the devices they market and sell.

Regards

PSS

I contacted MSI Technical Support and they indicated that since the device was included as an accessory with an Intel motherboard, Intel has the responsibility to provide support for the device. Also, the device chipset manufacturer should have an updated driver.

Regards

A couple of forum threads related to these drivers.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/32673

https://communities.intel.com/message/173016#173016

• 12. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                                kevin_intel

Hi tjg79,

I have tested a DZ87KLT-75K with this wireless Bluetooth module and I was not able to replicate the issue from my side. I tested the system with MS Office 2007 and 2010 and when sending emails or copying and pasting information there was no error.

At this point, I recommend you testing a different module and updating the bios on your unit. 

• 13. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                                  tjg79

I'll check my issue with a different module.

I've seen information online about others having this issue with the DX58SO2 and the "Send to Bluetooth" issue.

Is it possible for you to test a DX58SO2?

I'm testing on a DX58SO as well and getting the same indications.

I'll post my results when I try a different module.

Regards

• 14. Re: MSI MS-3871 WLAN 802.11b/g/n 1T1R+BT2.1 EDR Combo Slim Module Error
                                    kevin_intel

Hi, tjg79

I am going to research more about this. I will keep you posted.

1 2 Previous Next