3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2013 1:38 PM by sylvia_intel

Rebuilding RAID1 after changes to the data of one disk

Gearloose

My system has one drive for the OS and 2 other in RAID1 (Mirror) for the data.

After having some problems booting, I reset the BIOS. What I did not realize was that the default setup was the IDE mode for the disks and not the RAID.

It took me some time to realize that I have 2 identical disks installed in my system (with Windows 8 you don’t use the "My Computer" view that often) but in the meantime I have made changes to one of the drives (not knowing that it is not the array)

Now, when I try to set up the BIOS to RAID (in order to try rebuilding the array) the Windows does not boot...

Any Ideas to resolve this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Rebuilding RAID1 after changes to the data of one disk
          sylvia_intel

Hello Gearloose,

If you were not able to boot into Windows using the drive that had the OS installed, it could be that during the time that you were using the system on IDE mode, Windows installed some updates. Therefore, Windows' registry have changed and now it is asking you for the RAID drivers that you had before.

Our recommendation will be to install Windows from scratch, on RAID mode so you can rebuilt your RAID1.

I will also recommend you to back up all the drive information since we are not sure if all the data was save on a single drive or on both.

You may also try contacting Microsoft, and check if they have a better solution for you.

Regards.

• 2. Re: Rebuilding RAID1 after changes to the data of one disk
            Gearloose

Thank you Silvia,

Since my Windows installation was already unstable (this was the reason changing the BIOS, I thought it was hardware issue at first), clean installing is the only way I guess. My only concern is how to rebuild the array. My plan is as follows:

Set up RAID mode in BIOS

Install windows with only the "OS Disk" Present (no RAID disks)

Perform all updates and initial setup.

And then "Introduce" the two RAID disks. This is the point I'm not sure. I do know which disk of the two has the latest version of the data, but how should I enforce to rebuild the array from this one to the other? Should I format the "outdated" disk before connecting it to the motherboard? Will the RAID software ask how to synchronize?

Regards

• 3. Re: Rebuilding RAID1 after changes to the data of one disk
              sylvia_intel

My best recommendation will be to format the “outdated” hard drive. That way, when you access the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology the disk is not going to be recognized as part of the previous array. Then, you can start the rebuild.

Even though, this rebuild is not going to be automatic, I suggest you to backup the data on another hard drive.