3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 2:56 PM by sylvia_intel

i7 930 temps.

hannirc

Hello, i have had this computer for about 2 years almost now and it came with an i7 930. Now quick question. Recently i picked up a problem called core temps, and it shows me the temps across my 4 cores. While i play games such as rift, wow, or anything else, i notice the temps become considerably high. When i play rift (Which is indeed a processor intensive game), my temps show on the program staying at a steady 80-86C. These temps pick up on other games typically as well but still. Is this normal? Safe? I tried googling but don't get a safe answer. I saw answers such as intel cpu's get hot or its not safe. I checked in to see if it was getting airflow, it is, no dirt or anything inside the machine. Anyone?

• 1. Re: i7 930 temps.
          sylvia_intel

Hi Hannirc,

Your processor has a TCase value of 67.9 °C; anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use.

When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach the 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more, the system will shut down to prevent mayor damages and most probable it will not be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

Intel® has a tool that will test every single component inside the processor and then will generate a report. I recommend you running the tool named Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool. It can be downloaded at the following link:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples    

Something very important is to use the correct memory type on our processors otherwise the warranty won't cover the product.  This specific processor supports memory speed of 800/1066 Mhz, DDR3, 1.5V.

Using memory out of specifications will decrease the lifetime of the processor and it could generate processor damage.

Regards,

• 2. Re: i7 930 temps.
            hannirc

Hello and thanks to replying. My question is however. When i'm plaiyng a game, which is yes, cpu intensive. Should i be worrying when temperatures reach that mark? Should i buy another fan? Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: i7 930 temps.
              sylvia_intel

The temperature is not critical; however you can add or change the thermal paste on the processor.

Another fan could be a good idea also, and definitely the used of compatible memory.