1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 13, 2009 3:00 PM by Aryan2411

Replacing old motherboard and windows reinstallation

udo2000

Hello,

One of my client's computer died and I determined that the motherboard is the problem (D946GZIS).

I'm trying to avoid windows reinstallation, but it seems like the motherboard is not available on newegg (my only possible hardware vendor). It's prolly too old.

Here's my question: will any of the newer/available motherboards work as a immediate subbstitute without having to reinstall Windows? What should I look at? Chipset?

Here's one possible canditate:

Intel BOXDG41TY LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

If anybody knows how HAL treats replacing the motherboard with a newer one from same manufacturer, I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Replacing old motherboard and windows reinstallation
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Well the board D946GZIS has the following:

Intel 82946GZ MCH;
          Intel 82801GB ICH7
          LAN:                            Intel 82562G Platform LAN Connect 10/100Sound:        SigmaTel STAC9227Graphics:         Intel GMA 3000

And the new board DG41TY has:

Intel 82G41 MCH;
          Intel 82801G ICH7

LAN:                       Realtek RTL8111D GigabitLAN:             Realtek ALC888VC Graphics:          Intel GMA 4100

So all depends which OS you are using, I did have Windows Vista and 7 installed on a DQ965GF, when i have transferred all the system on to a new board DQ45CB, it worked fine for me, compared to Windows XP, i got a nice BSOD.

Possibly, before installing the system to the new BOARD, uninstalling all the installed drivers from the Device Manager to avoid conflicts. 

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan