1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 9:59 PM by jezzarino

[DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)

IDDQD

Hi community,

I recently build a new system with the DX79TO as motherboard, but encountered serious issues which I want to describe here the best I can, so probably anybody has the same isues and could help me with that. So here we go ...

- Newest RSTe drivers should be 3.6.xxx, but when I search for RSTe drivers instead of drivers for my DX79TO, I get an even newer version (3.7.xxx).

- I can't install the firmware-update for the RENESAS USB 3.0 controller. I downloaded and tried both, but one does show me, it is not compatible for my system, the other starts updating the firmware, but at 99% the system brings a BSOD. I tried installing some different O/S (WinXP - Win8, WinServer2003 - 2012), but with EVERY O/S I get a BSOD at 99% progress. Every time! Running the updater with admin-rights did not help, even while logged in as "real" administrator AND right-clicking -> run as admin.

- My GFX-ports SHOULD be PCIe 3.0, but if I plug in a Geforce GTX6xx or 7xx (only one, no SLI or sth. what could change the distribution of availible PCIe slots), GPU-Z shows me PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0. Is that a known problem? I tried a few cards with different brands / model, but I can't get PCIe 3.0 to work, which is an unacceptable loss of bandwidth. After searching through ark.intel.com I found out the board and my CPU (i7-3820) are shown as PCIe 2.0, but I am 100% sure (!!! really !!!) before I bought it, it showed PCIe 3.0, otherwise I would not have bought it).

- I connected a few HDDs at the SATA-2-ports. If I download sth. from FTP (FileZilla Client) or if I access the HDDs plugged in at an SATA-2-port, I hear a mechanical CLICK here and then. Performance is more than lousy and if I access the HDD by clicking on COMPUTER and then on one of these SATA-2-HDDs, I see a few folders at once, then this CLICKING-noise appears and then tthe rest of the content shows in explorer (about 30 folders in total). A few days back I downloaded about 10gigs and uploaded about 20 gigs on our company-FTP. The clicking-noise came about every 2 or 3 minutes and transfers went down to a few kilobytes/second for a short while. Then transfer continued how it should be. I tried different drivers (RSTe, RST, MSAHCI / Microsoft default ones), but the issue is still there. Since I RMAed the harddisks, because I thought it would be a mechanical issue with the HDDs themself, but the manufacturers (WD, Samsung and Seagate) did not find an issue on these HDDs and the all behave the same (clicking noise), I think it's some error with the board. The SATA-3-ports work very well, no clicking-noise or whatsoever ...

I would be very thankful to get any help here for the problems mentioned, because they drive me mad.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. ;-)

• 1. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
          IDDQD

*BUMP*

No answers from NOBODY? Am I the only one with those problems?

• 2. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
            Diego_Intel

The latest release available and validated for this motherboard is 3.6.0.1093 and this should be obtained from our official site downloadcenter.intel.com

You did not provide a reason for updating the Renesas driver and what version is being used, however as per the information you provided, you should take under consideration that this motherboard is not validated for Microsoft* Windows* XP or any server edition operating system. In the other hand the Renesas driver in our web site is not compatible or validated for Microsoft* Windows* 8. Hence due to compatibility issues it might be expected that you get such error messages. The only operating system that would require such driver would be Microsoft* Windows* 7.

This motherboard is designed to support PCI Express* 3.0 when using a processor that does support that as well. In this case, the processor you are using only features PCI Express* 2.0, therefore that is what you see as supported for your video cards.

Concerning the HDDs clicking noise you report, we have not seen any similar issue being reported. While troubleshooting this, did you test these drives in the SATA III ports, swapped power and data cables? Did you test the system out of the chassis to check for any grounding issues? Have you updated the system BIOS? Have you tried this from the operating system's safe mode? If all this has been done, you could possibly replace the motherboard to isolate any hardware related problem with the motherboard.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
              Ziad Aghar

@Diego

"This motherboard is designed to support PCI Express* 3.0 when using a processor that does support that as well. In this case, the processor you are using only features PCI Express* 2.0, therefore that is what you see as supported for your video cards."

According to Sylvia, the new Intel processors which employ the PCIE 3.0 "i.e. 4960x" will NOT be compatible with the x79 chipset.

Maybe, you can clear this out.

I mean x79 Intel board owners just paid for the PCIE Gen 3.0 but, won't be able to use it??

Sin yours

• 4. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                Diego_Intel

You can use the Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5 family processors listed on the processor compatibility list for that motherboard:

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=Dx79to

These processors are capable of PCI Express* 3.0 as per ark.intel.com

• 5. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                  IDDQD

The latest release available and validated for this motherboard is 3.6.0.1093 and this should be obtained from our official site downloadcenter.intel.com

OK, good to hear that. So any newer version is not compatible, got it. :-)

You did not provide a reason for updating the Renesas driver and what version is being used, however as per the information you provided, you should take under consideration that this motherboard is not validated for Microsoft* Windows* XP or any server edition operating system. In the other hand the Renesas driver in our web site is not compatible or validated for Microsoft* Windows* 8. Hence due to compatibility issues it might be expected that you get such error messages. The only operating system that would require such driver would be Microsoft* Windows* 7.

I do not have to provide "reasons", have I? Yes, it's the mentioned problem with Code 58 in BIOS while booting. Somehow, the problem "solved itself", because update failed, but problem is gone (however this is done??).

"Nice" to hear, this motherboard is NOT compatible with any Server-O/S. NICE!

This motherboard is designed to support PCI Express* 3.0 when using a processor that does support that as well. In this case, the processor you are using only features PCI Express* 2.0, therefore that is what you see as supported for your video cards.

OK ... So my sightings before buying the board where wrong? I am definitely sure, 100% sure, and I can't tell you often enough, VERY sure, I saw the PCIe 3.0 spec under ark.intel.com BEFORE I bought the board and the CPU. And YES, they both stated, they would be PCIe 3.0 compatible. But I read a lot of forum posts after posting here, and I found a lot of posts and threads ybout this "PCIe 3.0 issue" on NVIDIA's forums. The board was made before PCIe 3.0 standard was declared by whoever it should be declared as such (JEDEC? I don't remember ... ). Because of that, NVIDIA "was afraid, the boards would not run stable" with PCIe 3.0 enabled and disabled it on specific INTEL boards in combination with Geforce 6xx or 7xx GFX. It can be enabled by running an EXE file from NVIDIA. But INTEL responded to this mess by changing the status from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 2.0.

If I only made a screenshot of that ...

Concerning the HDDs clicking noise you report, we have not seen any similar issue being reported. While troubleshooting this, did you test these drives in the SATA III ports, swapped power and data cables? Did you test the system out of the chassis to check for any grounding issues? Have you updated the system BIOS? Have you tried this from the operating system's safe mode? If all this has been done, you could possibly replace the motherboard to isolate any hardware related problem with the motherboard.

- SATA-3-ports: checked! => NO CLICKING NOISE!

- swapped cables: checked! => clicking noise is there!

- tried HDD on another PC: checked! => no clicking noise!

- tried with own PC / different PSU: checked! => clicking noise is there!

- updated BIOS: YES! from 0525 step-by-step to 0590 (newest availible)

- safe-mode: skipped, because of using a lot of different O/S to test on -> same issue!

Is it possible to cross-flash the "normal" RST-rom into the BIOS of the DX79TO to replace the RSTe-rom? I only had RST before and never heard a clicking-noise. Knowledge (basic) is there, so I would only need the tools to do so.

Sincerely

IDDQD

EDIT: I found some screens here (just posting links!). Please inspect the PCIe-lanes which goe from the CPU to the left. It states PCIe 2.0, but why you still have 1GB/s bandwidth with PCIe 2.0?

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2011/11/intel-sandy-bridge-e-review/x79_blockdiagram.jpg

In addition, I found something here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=375347

The user states that he is running a quad-SLI-system with PCIe 3.0 enabled ... on Sandy Bridge-E. So are you just hiding anything? I trusted Intel for a long time, but I start to think Intel has ripped me off. Really!

Please do not let me feel "ripped off" by my favourite company!

Yours

IDDQD

• 6. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                    Diego_Intel

You could try replacing the motherboard in order to see if this clicking noise would be a hardware related issue with the motherboard you have.

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (IRSTe) and Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology are not compatible with each other, so this cannot be changed in your system.

Regarding, PCI Express* 3.0 support, allow me to forward your feedback to the appropriate team for further clarification on this.

• 7. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                      IDDQD

I think the clicking noise is related to the SATA-2-ports which are onboard. On SATA-3 I can't hear any clicking noise. But I can't connect them all to only 2 SATA-3-ports ...

I know RST and RSTe are not compatible, because of missing hardware-IDs and stuff. But as the picture shows, these are "optional features", which are added by some ROM, which is placed into the BIOS. I did a few tests with BIOSes some years ago, just to understand them better. I could replace the ROMs inside the BIOS with the correct tools. I have access to AMI and AWARD tools, but INTEL BIOSes are from the company INSYDE (an "Intel-Insyde-BIOS" :-)), and for those I do not have any tools to extract and insert ROM files. Could you provide me these tools in any way? Or could you change the ROMs by yourself and send me the modified BIOS file to flash it on my board?

Any help would be welcome.

Sincerely

IDDQD

• 8. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                        Diego_Intel

Customization and changes such to the BIOS on any Intel(R) motherboard is not supported or validated, hence no tools are available from our side to achieve this.

• 9. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                          IDDQD

Hi Diego,

much more stuff to riddle about:

Yesterday my system brought me a BSOD with STORPORT.SYS, after installing RSTe 3.6.x from the downloadcenter. I uninstalled RSTe and searched for alternatives, and guess what I found:

ASUS offers much more versions of RSTe and RST for their x79-boards than you do. They have a BETA version which seems to work, but I played risky and installed their RST 11.7 driver (no enterprise!), and from then on the system runs like a charm. OS is Win8 Pro x64. So RST is VERY compatible with x79-boards.

Link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/asus/misc/sata/IRST_Win7_8_VER11701030.zip

In addition I found a newer chipset identification utility: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/asus/misc/utils/Intel_Chipset_VistaWin7_8_VER9321014.zip

Both links are compatible with Win7 x64 and Win8 x64, probably x86, too. So please try if you do not believe me, you should not encounter any errors ( I did not).

Another side-question:

Would I void my warranty if I would try to do the ROM-mod by myself? RST ROM fits better with RST software, I think.

Yours

IDDQD

• 10. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                            Ziad Aghar

@IDDQD

I had the a similar problem where the RSTe did screw up my boot times from 30 sec. up to 90 sec.

Even when I uninstalled it the boot times weren't completely restored. In  AHCI YES it does screw up the system.

PS       most Intel x79 users felt cheated out of their money, scammed in a way by Intel "that's how I feel". We've been left dead in the water while we were promised a visual BIOS as Sylvia said & non was delivered. While all other MB manufacturers especially the x79 users where given visual BIOS, PCIE Gen 3.0, the whole nine yards.

"For other companies for which motherboard manufacture is their one and only business, they are more likely to heed consumer feedback and adapt their products to better fit into the market.  Intel does not need to do this – their motherboard sales are a fraction of everything else." Anandtech

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                              IDDQD

Thank you Ziad Aghar for participating in this thread. :-)

You seem to be another unhappy x79-user. While playing around with your hardware, did you encounter any other trouble and possibly found some workaround?

ATM I have the following combination of drivers (Win8 x64):

chipset (v9.3.2.1014): http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/asus/misc/utils/Intel_Chipset_VistaWin7_8_VER9321014.zip

RST (v11.7): http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/asus/misc/sata/IRST_Win7_8_VER11701030.zip

Realtek HD Audio from here (always newest, v2.71 atm I think): http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

LAN (v18.5): http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21642/eng/PROWinx64.exe

GFX (NVIDIA!Vista x64, Win7 x64, Win8 x64): NVIDIA DRIVERS 314.22WHQL

GFX patch for NVIDIA GFX PCIe 3.0 support: Geforce 600 Series Gen3 Support On X79 Platform

That's the base config of my system. I have a DX79TO, so I need the NUVOTON Infrared Device driver and others as well. Probably you (or any other person who reads this) won't need it.

Additional / optional drivers:

Intel eXtreme Tuning Utility (Intel XTU, v4.2): http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23084/eng/XTU-Setup.exe

Intel Management Engine (VERY optional, this version does not throw errors with Win8 so far!, v9.0.0.1287): http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/Intel_MEI_VistaWin7_8_VER9001287.zip

Intel XTU has the same drivers like "Intel Desktop Utilities" have, but you can change a lot of settings without going into BIOS, so if your system does not run 100% stable, give the tool a try.

Sincerely

IDDQD

• 12. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                                Ziad Aghar

Actually the problem with the RSTe was the only one I had.

If you are not using the CIR then you don't need the NUVOTON driver. Just go into BIOS & disable it "I think it is disabled by default". The CIR is a small header on the MB which you can attach an Infrared Remote Control. I don't think you are using this option. If so disable it & no need for the driver.

As for the drivers you look all set.

Sometimes, we do get confused with what & when to install. However, if your rig is working well now then you don't need to install any driver anytime soon. You just need to update the video driver every now & then "only if it solves a specific issue you are encountering"

If you need to clarify anything feel free to ask.

• 13. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                                  Diego_Intel

Modifying the system BIOS in fact may void the warranty of the product as may lead to having a complete unusable system caused by an external situation that is not a manufacturing defect.

IRTe is the only version that has been validated for the DX79TO motherboard and that is the reason why is what is shown on downloadcenter. Keep in mind that each motherboard and Original Equipment Manufacturer is allowed to modify the drivers they provide for their final products, hence they may have 'recent' releases with higher version numbers.

You may do as Ziad Aghar said, you should only update a driver if you do have an issue that is listed as resolved in the release notes of the new version

• 14. Re: [DX79TO] I am confused with this (drivers, specs, etc.)
                                    IDDQD

OK, so I won't do any mod on this as long as warranty is provided for my board.

Since ASUS drivers work as intended, even the normal RST drivers (no enterprise), I think I will download my drivers from ASUS now. The clicking noise is still there, but I will buy some SATA-controller in the near future, so that's no problem anymore, too.

So I only have to wait about what the tech-dept. will answer about the PCIe 3.0 issue, that's fine. Let's wait ... :-)

And before I forget it: What's "Intel Management Engine Interface" (Intel MEI) needed for?

But who should I give credit now for the "solution" of all these issues? You helped both, but I only can give one of you the credits. Diego_Intel, would you mind if I give "Ziad Aghar" the credits? This user has less points than you. Probably he / she could need them more.

Sincerely

IDDQD

EDIT: Sorry guys, but I found another issue, but I think that's peanuts for you guys. (i hope so!)

After installing Win8 from scratch (like I always do), I installed the drivers first (mentioned above). The system shut down correctly for a while, but since a few days, the system shuts down, but the computer doesn't loose power. Then you hear some clicking noise, if the system would access and spin-up the HDDs again (on SATA-2 obviously, since on SATA-3 there are only SSDs). After spinning them up, the system looses power and shuts down as it should. For the whole time, the screen is black (no signal).

short:

shutdown command -> Windows tells you about shutdown bla bla -> screen goes black -> some clicking noise -> HDDs seem to spin up -> system goes offline like it should

how it should be / how it was:

shutdown command -> Windows tells you about shutdown bla bla -> screen goes black -> system is shut down / off!

There is no entry in Windows or anything else what could lead me to a solution. There are no errors with startup or shutdown or anything else. I did not change any drivers, which could lead to this and I did not install anything else. It happened from one day to another.

1 2 Previous Next