8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2013 4:40 PM by Fernando

After switch from AHCI to RAID, tray icon doesn't work.  Fix?

Merwinsson

I purchased two SSDs to build a RAID 0 volume that would replace a regular hard drive that was a data drive (non-boot) on my system.  I imaged the original drive to a network share, then switched from AHCI to RAID in the BIOS (which affects the boot drive as well).  Surprise!  Windows crashes on booting.  After googling that, I see that this is because RST cannot deal with this switch auto-magically.  So, I go back to AHCI, boot Windows, change 1 registry setting (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\Start from 3 to 0), reboot, change to RAID, reboot again, and viola, I'm in Windows, and I now am using the RST RAID driver.  However, the RST UI would not come up.  One RST re-install later and the UI comes up, but one last problem remains: the tray icon never reports that RST is running.  This is not a big deal, because RST is indeed running, but I would like to have the icon fixed.  Since re-installing didn't fix that, I am out of ideas.

I assume that my registry hacking (if you could call changing 1 setting hacking) has RST confused regarding the tray icon.  But I am not up for playing musical registry settings, especially with a subsystem that controls access to my data.

Any brilliant ideas on how to fix this?

• 1. Re: After switch from AHCI to RAID, tray icon doesn't work.  Fix?
          Fernando

Your problem has been caused by the switch from AHCI to RAID mode without having uninstalled the RST software (RST Console and RST Services).

This is what I recommend to do:

1. Uninstall the previously installed "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" software from within the Control Panel.

2. Reboot.

3. Reinstall the previously used Intel RST software or install any other suitable Intel RST Drivers & Software Set.

4. Reboot.

After having done that, you should see the RST systray icon.

• 3. Re: After switch from AHCI to RAID, tray icon doesn't work.  Fix?
            Merwinsson

Normally I would do that, but the latest driver is not supporting TRIM with RAID0 properly.

There is another thread open someplace on the forum about this.

Intel RST 12.7.0.1036 WHQL - Bug

The 11.7 drivers are the only good ones (known to me) that support this feature for me.

EDIT

I see that Intel has posted new drivers, ver 12.8.

I will try these and see if TRIM is working.

• 4. Re: After switch from AHCI to RAID, tray icon doesn't work.  Fix?
              sylvia_intel

Please let me know if it worked, because as far as we know TRIM has been supported on RAID 0 since version 11.x.

Regards.

• 5. Re: After switch from AHCI to RAID, tray icon doesn't work.  Fix?
                Merwinsson

It is working, and it is not working (RST 12.8).

I used the trimcheck.exe tool (version 0.5).  If it says TRIM not working, and I have rebooted, than I believe the tool.  The tool is found at:

Index of /trimcheckhttp://files.thecybershadow.net/trimcheck/

When "Write cache buffer flushing" is DISABLED and "Cache mode" is WRITE-BACK, the tool

reports that TRIM is not working (even after waiting 5 minutes, checking, then rebooting and checking again).

If I ENABLE the buffer flushing and set the mode to WRITE-THROUGH, or, something even more conservative (like OFF), then TRIM is reported as working.

So, I am forced to degrade the performance of my raid in order for TRIM to work correctly.

Now, I'm not one of those people who read the copious release notes, so maybe TRIM (with or without RAID) is not possible with WRITE-BACK caching and/or DISABLED buffer flushing, but it would be nice to get a statement on whether this is intended behavior or yet another issue to fix.

-- EDIT --

Since it wasn't clear whether it was disabling buffer flushing or using write back caching that was affecting the TRIM, I did some more testing and discovered that it was using the write back caching that was the culprit.  I left buffer flushing disabled and switched the cache mode to write through and the trimcheck then passed.

Looking forward to comments on this.

• 6. Re: After switch from AHCI to RAID, tray icon doesn't work.  Fix?
                  Fernando

sylvia_intel schrieb:

Please let me know if it worked, because as far as we know TRIM has been supported on RAID 0 since version 11.x.

That is correct with just a single exception: The Intel RST(e) RAID drivers v12.5.0.1066 do not support TRIM in RAID0 at all.

Merwinsson schrieb:

It is working, and it is not working (RST 12.8).

I used the trimcheck.exe tool (version 0.5).  If it says TRIM not working, and I have rebooted, than I believe the tool.

TRIM either passes through the Intel SATA RAID Controller into the RAID0 or not.

That means: If you have verified at any time, that TRIM is active within your RAID0, then you can be sure, that you get benefit of the TRIM in RAID0 feature.

On the other hand you should consider, that the TRIMCheck Tool is not able to detect low TRIM activity. That is why you often get insecure results. If you want more security to find out, if TRIM passes through the SATA RAID Controller, you either have to force the TRIM activity (e.g. by running the Win8 "Optimizer" or the "TRIM Trigger" feature of Anvil's Storage Utilities) or to check the TRIM activity manually by using a Hex Editor. Here is my guide: http://www.win-raid.com/t24f28-Easy-TRIM-test-methods.html

• 7. Re: After switch from AHCI to RAID, tray icon doesn't work.  Fix?
                    Merwinsson

Thank you for the link Fernando.  I did not know about Anvil's Storage Utilities, and that will sure add another tool to my belt.  I do, however, still think that RST is not supporting TRIM under the following conditions/settings:

RAID disk

Cache Mode WRITE BACK

Under these conditions, whatever command that is being sent to the disk controller to do TRIM is being lost because no amount of waiting or rebooting will make the trimcheck program report that TRIM is working.  And let's be clear, the program is simple - it's just looking for the bytes that it created to get cleared by a TRIM action; if the bytes do not clear then TRIM has not occurred.  Test it yourself.

I am very happy with RST 12.8 otherwise.  It has all the performance settings easy to get at, doesn't crash, doesn't seem to interfere with AnyDVD, and mostly supports TRIM properly with RAID.  I've simply set the cache mode to WRITE THROUGH; less performant, yes--if you're running heavy disk I/O--but really doesn't make a difference on my desktop system.

• 8. Re: After switch from AHCI to RAID, tray icon doesn't work.  Fix?
                      Fernando

Merwinsson schrieb:

I do, however, still think that RST is not supporting TRIM under the following conditions/settings:

RAID disk

Cache Mode WRITE BACK

You are probably the first and only Intel RAID user, who sees such relationship.

Although I don't know the reason for your difficulties to detect any TRIM activity within your RAID0 array, I am nearly sure, that TRIM is passing even through the Intel SATA RAID Controller of your system.

By the way: The topic of this thread was the lost of the IRST icon after the switch from AHCI to RAID. Since this original problem has been solved, it would be fine, if you mark your original question as being answered.