10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 2:35 AM by perqa

Input device problem in BIOS

perqa

I can't use any BIOS features, because none of my (USB) keyboards or mice work in Visual BIOS, which is the default mode. The keyboards and mice work in Windows, so there is nothing wrong with them. I have updated to the latest BIOS version (0023) and also installed the drivers available from Intel Download Center.

Symtoms:

In Visual BIOS, all keys on the keyboard are dead, except for ESC. Once I press ESC, I can tab myself around the dialog window and exit, but that's it. The mouse pointer can only be moved up and down, not right to left.

• 1. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
          lhill

Hello perqa,

Do you recall whether or not you enabled a feature in BIOS called "USB Optimization"?  This feature turns off USB functionality until you have booted into the operating system, allowing for a faster boot sequence.

If this is the case, please see http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034050.htm for the steps you can take to disable this feature.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 2. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
            perqa

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I did not enable USB optimization as far as I know. Even so, I tried the "Power button recovery" as suggested on the page you referred to, but that didn't work. I don't get any beeps at all. The computer switches on and off again while I'm pressing the power button.

The problem seems to have escalated. Before I replied, I wanted to test all USB devices once more, but now I can't even get in to BIOS. When booting I get straight into Windows. I don't see that boot screen with "Press F2 to enter BIOS", etc. Even if I press F2 during boot, I don't see anything on the screen until Windows appears.

=== EDIT ===

I did a BIOS recovery, and now I can get in to BIOS again. However, the original USB input device problems remain.

Best Regards,

Per Q A

• 3. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
              lhill

Hello,

Some of our very early NUCs had somewhat similar issues where they could not access BIOS via the F2 key. In many of those cases, the problem was with certain HDMI monitors. Let's explore that in your case.

What type of monitor/display are you using?

If HDMI, is your HDMI cable an HDMI 1.4a cable?

Are you using any type of video converter/adapter? If so, try without it.

Are you plugging 'through' an AV receiver? If so, try without it.

Regards,

Lois

• 4. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
                perqa

Hello,

The monitor is an LG Flatron L226WT, connected directly via a DVI cable without any adapter or AV receiver. I sometimes have a TV connected via a HDMI 1.3 cable, but that is only used as an extension to the monitor, not on its own.

As you might have seen in the EDIT section of my previous reply, I can now get into the BIOS, but it still doesn't pick up my USB input devices.

All the best,

Per Q A

• 5. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
                  lhill

Hello,

Please try your configuration without the LG Flatron monitor.  Just plug your NUC directly into your TV with the HDMI cable and see if the USB devices work OK in BIOS there. If it still fails at that point, let me know.  You may need to re-contact Intel Customer Support with the case number you have there and ask for a warranty replacement.

Regards,

Lois

• 6. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
                    perqa

Hello,

Just tried what you suggested, but there is no difference.

These are the tech specs of my system:

Intel NUC DC53427HYE, equipped with 

Crucial 128GB M4 SSD3 and

2*4GB Crucial DDR3-1600 SODIMM 1.35V 204 PIN (as recommended by Crucial)

Serial: G6YE326001RT / SA H10106.100

Best Regards,

Per Q A

• 7. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
                      lhill

Hello,

I see that you have gone ahead with a warranty request for this issue.  Please let me know if the replacement NUC solves the problem.

Also, can you confirm these are the USB devices you had issues with:

Keyboards:
                      HP KU-0316 (Swedish)
                      Apple M2452
                      Smart Keyboard Ez-9900

Mouse:
                      Dicota Blossom AMX100

Our engineering team will try to track these items down for testing.

Regards,

Lois

• 8. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
                        perqa

Yes, I have received a Standard Warranty Replacement (SWR) notification, and will proceed with that.

The listed USB devices are indeed the ones I have tested. I should add that all keyboards are Swedish, not just the HP.

Thanks for all your help!

Best Regards,

Per Q A

• 9. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
                          lhill

Hi,

My BIOS engineering contact mentioned that the BIOS may not be recognizing the data packets a Swedish keyboard would be sending. Is it possible for you to test an English keyboard before you ship off your NUC for warranty?

Lois

• 10. Re: Input device problem in BIOS
                            perqa

Sorry, I just shipped it, but I don't have an english keyboard anyway. Besides, the mouse should be pretty international, and it didn't work either.

Thanks for your help,

Per Q A