2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2013 6:51 PM by Mayongo

Possible Scam

Mayongo

I apologize for wasting space on this, but it's bugging me. Anyways, I received an email 3 days ago about a giveaway that I entered through the Intel VIP Techzone app. I have until Tuesday to give some personal information such as my Social Security Number and a copy of my ID if I want to receive the prize. Everything seems legit, but I can't help but feel uneasy because they're asking me for my SSN. The email came with the form I'm supposed to fill and with another document with the rules of the giveaway. My question is the following, is this a scam? Is there any way I can confirm this and be 100% sure? I'll copy and paste what the email said.

Dear (Redacted),

We are writing regarding your entry in the INTEL® VIP Tech Zone Giveaway, sponsored by Intel Corporation, which runs from July 18 through August 1, 2013.

We’re happy to share that your entry was chosen by our company (an independent agent of the sponsor) and deemed the potential Grand Prize Winner.  Congratulations!

The prize you have won, pending confirmation of your eligibility, is a prize package. Prize package consist of:

·         One (1) ASUS VivoBook V500CA-DB51T Notebook Intel Core i5 3337U(1.80GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm Intel HD Graphics 4000;

·         One (1) ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

This Prize has an Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of $819.98. Please see the attached Official Rules for complete prize details.

IMPORTANT:  By accepting this prize, the IRS mandates that you be issued a Form 1099-MISC in January of the year following prize fulfillment for the published ARV of the prize.  Any federal, state and/or local taxes on said prize are your responsibility to pay.  You will receive a 1099-MISC Form in January of 2014 for the value of your prize.

To begin the prize claim process, you will need to do the following by Tuesday, August 27:

1.       Read through the complete Official Sweepstakes Rules (attached) and ensure you meet the eligibility requirements and comply with all the terms and conditions as stated in the Official Rules.

2.       Sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (also attached).

a.      NOTE:  The Affidavit will require you to furnish your Social Security Number for the sole purpose of tax reporting, as required by law for prizes valuing $600 or more.  All personal identifying information is kept in a locked location, accessed only for use when issuing tax forms as required by law.

3.       Send a copy of a valid form of ID as proof of age (driver’s license or other ID).

The Affidavit and ID copy can be returned to us in one of the following ways:

Email:    Print, complete, scan and email to Kimberly@ussweeps.com    

Fax:        Fax, attention “Kimberly”, to (585) 248-1584

Mail:      INTEL® VIP Tech Zone Giveaway Winner Confirmation, PO Box 25466, Rochester, NY 14625

You must return all documentation to our company by TUESDAY, AUGUST 27, 2013, seven (7) days from the date of this notification.  Failure to return completed, signed documents will void your prize claim and an alternate winner will be selected.

Once we have received your materials and deemed you eligible, your prize will be awarded within approximately 45 days from the time you are verified a winner.

On behalf of the sponsor, thank you for your participation in this exciting sweepstakes.  Again, congratulations!

Sincerely,

Kimberly Gibson

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: logo

Kimberly Gibson-Support Services

625 Panorama Trail – Suite 2100

Rochester, NY 14625

o: 585-226-1599

f: 585-248-1584

kimberly@ussweeps.com

www.ussweeps.com