Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

RAID Card crashes after firmware driver update

TMase
Novice

Hi guys. I recently updated the firmware on my RAID card with the latest firmware from Intel. I also downloaded the latest driver for Windows 8. And ever since these 2 updates, when I play a movie, it freezes and when I reboot, I get an error message from the RAID Web Utility about firmware failure on the RAID card. Please help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

What controller are you using Tumi?

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
TMase
Novice

Hi John.

Its the SRCSATAWB.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tumi,

That issue was documented to have been resolved in firmware version v1.12.00-0310, which is quite old. The release notes specifically state:

Fixed: Driver detected possible FW hang, halting FW.

Have you also updated the driver to the current version?

I'm wondering of the firmware and driver work hand in hand on this issue.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
TMase
Novice

John

I did install the latest driver for Windows 8, which is version 6.600.23.00. The firmware version I used is 11.0.1-0057. Right now, I've downgraded the driver back to the generic one from Windows. It works and doesn't still... So I've got no joy with either driver.

And I've had this card 3 years now and it's the first time this happens and it all started with this latest firmware.

Is is possible to go back to the previous firmware, without causing card failure? I'm afraid to do that right now, the amount of data sitting on my drives is way too valuable. So I don't wana do anything that could lead to the card crashing or something.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tumi,

You can back rev the firmware. We do it often in our lab. HOWEVER, I would not do it in your situation without a tested backup just in case something went wrong. You should always backup critical data.

See our http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-025645.htm Planning for the worst case: the importance of a backup solution web article.

John

0 Kudos
TMase
Novice

I have around 12TB of data... backing it up would be a mission. What is also happening now is that whenever I transfer data to, say, an external hard drive, it crashes as well. The entire volume simply disappears from My Computer and the download then crashes. That crash also crashes Windows and I'm forced to reboot. When I reboot, I get that error that I attached. This is really baffling me.

0 Kudos
BMont3
Beginner

I downgraded without losing any data. But I had it secured, just in case...

0 Kudos
BMont3
Beginner

Same problem here, started some months ago. Updating to last firmware didn't change. Also updated to latest Windows 7 x64 driver and I thought it was better, but it isn't. Went from RAID5 with 4 disks to RAID0 with 2 disks, but the problem remains. Heavy loads on the array trigger this all the time...

0 Kudos