Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Details on driver services/processes (igfx*)?

ww2
Novice

It's been asked already, but I didn't find a detailed authoritative explanation. Could someone from Intel explain in detail the function of igfxpers.exe and igfxsrvc.exe? Do they need to run if this functionality is not needed?

Also, as I understand it, hkcmd.exe handles hotkeys. Is there a reason it still runs even with hotkeys disabled (most recent version of drivers)?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi wwwhy,

The two .exe's in question are part of running the Intel® Graphics Control Panel. igfxpers.exe is for persistent settings, and igfxsrvc.exe is a necessary component for proper usage of the Intel® Graphics Control Panel (specifically for capability processing of display driver/hardware).

Persistence is an important process/feature, and makes it so that your display doesn't lose its resolution everytime you turn your monitor off (this is just one important reason). igfxsrvc.exe is also critical to proper running of the driver as a whole - so you wouldn't want to shut off either of these processes.

hkcmd.exe does not only run hotkeys. It is also responsible for associating connections from displays (hotplugging), and several docking/laptop processes. I would not recommend cancelling this process either.

Hope this answers your questions!

Thanks,

-Nic

ww2
Novice

Thanks. Could you give some more specific details?

The process/services mess that drivers like to add, nevermind things like unneeded shell extensions, is always unfortunate. E.g., why aren't the 3 EXEs combined into one? Or if it's support for the Control Panel (though you say it's also for other things), why doesn't it just run when the settings program is open?

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Persistent settings are in play even when the control panel is not open, otherwise the second you closed the CP you would revert to other resolutions/settings, etc. Additionally the igfxpers.exe file is connected to parts of the driver outside of the CP, such as the DTCM (right-click desktop menu), so it is also not exclusively tied to the CP being open.

The exe's are not combined because they have different functions and run at different points, they have a single common process (the graphics control panel) to unify them, but they cannot be combined due to lack of functionality as an independent object.

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
ww2
Novice

Thanks.

I'm not clear on why you need a service to retain settings, instead of just directly using the registry or a settings file. Anyway, I'll just experiment to see what side effects there may be.

0 Kudos