8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 4:29 AM by Fernando

ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller with Win XP Pro: Best software?

Futurepower(R)

Is it acceptable to use the Rapid Storage Technology (RST) RAID software from the link below with an Intel chipset using the ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO SATA RAID Controller on a computer using Windows XP Professional? The web site lists only Microsoft operating systems newer than Windows XP.

Download Center

(keyword=Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) )

The latest version of RST listed today, August 19, 2013, is 12.8.0.1016.

We have been having considerable problems with RAID failures on customer's computers, even though the drives are not bad.

The Matrix Storage Manager (iMSM) software is primitive, and research on this Intel Communities web site indicates that the RST software may work, but the answers are not clear concerning using the latest RST software with Windows XP Professional.

If the latest RST software can be used with that RAID controller, here are more questions:

1) Is it necessary to un-install the Matrix Storage Manager before installing the RST software?

2) Does installing the RST software update the RAID driver? If not, what is the latest driver and where can it be found?

3) Is it true that the latest hard drives cannot be used with the old Matrix Storage Manager software?

Message was edited by: Michael Jennings

• 1. Re: ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller with Win XP Pro: Best software?
          kevin_intel

Hello Futurepower(R),

The information provided shows different ICH models from different chipsets.

In order for me to provide all the information requested, can I please have the computer model number or the exact chipset model you have?

• 2. Re: ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller with Win XP Pro: Best software?
            Futurepower(R)

The chipset is Intel® Q57 Express Chipset.

ARK | Intel® Q57 Express Chipset (Intel® BD82Q57 PCH)

Processor:

ARK | Intel® Core™ i5-650 Processor (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz)

Is that enough? Thanks. Apparently Intel provides numerous ICH models when the OS requests the model number.

You said, "The information provided shows different ICH models from different chipsets."

Could you also provide me a link to "the information provided"? I've found nothing in my own research.

• 3. Re: ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller with Win XP Pro: Best software?
              kevin_intel

Hello Futurepower(R),

Thanks for the information.

I am afraid to say that the software that you need to use for the chipset Q57 is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST). The Intel Matrix Storage Manager is compatible with older chipset versions.

At this point, the latest IRST we have is version 12.8. You can download the driver at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23060&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)&keyword=12.8&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

It is important to mentioned that the IRST is an updated version of Intel Matrix Storage software but not compatible with some chipsets.

• 4. Re: ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller with Win XP Pro: Best software?
                Futurepower(R)

Kevin,

You said, "I am afraid to say that the software that you need to use for the chipset Q57 is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST). The Intel Matrix Storage Manager is compatible with older chipset versions."

That's not what the Intel web site says! When I click on Windows XP as the operating system, it offers me a version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. It would be really, really good if you can get that Intel web site page fixed, so that it tells correctly which version of the storage manager drivers and software to use.

There are many, many hassles like that.

You also said, "It is important to mentioned that the IRST is an updated version of Intel Matrix Storage software but not compatible with some chipsets."

What chipsets are NOT compatible??? Intel customers should not have to deal with the FOUR names and multiple versions of what is actually only storage driver software! There should be ONE software package that works will ALL chipsets. That one software package should test the chipset and install whatever is correct. There are many, many other issues like that.

I have often thought that I should try to get the Intel Board of Directors to make me CEO of Intel. Intel is EXTREMELY INCOMPETENT in any area but designing and building processors and chipsets, in my opinion. I can often see serious problems with an Intel web page I haven't visited before in less than 20 seconds. Otellini and the present CEO apparently can't do that, or neither of them ever visited or visit the Intel web site.

QUESTIONS not yet answered:

1) Does the Intel RST software ALSO install a new storage driver, or is it only the RAID software?

2) How does an Intel customer determine which chipset uses which storage manager driver?

3) An Intel web page says to Verify each RAID volume frequently. Why? What are the issues?

Michael Jennings

Futurepower ® 

• 5. Re: ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller with Win XP Pro: Best software?
                  Fernando

Hello Futurepower,

you cannot use any Intel RST driver of the v12.x.x.xxxx series, because they do not support Windows XP.

What I recommend to install is the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL. This driver definitively supports Windows XP and the Southbridge of your mainboard. According to my experience you will get the best performance with this RAID driver.

Futurepower(R) schrieb:

1) Is it necessary to un-install the Matrix Storage Manager before installing the RST software?

2) Does installing the RST software update the RAID driver? If not, what is the latest driver and where can it be found?

3) Is it true that the latest hard drives cannot be used with the old Matrix Storage Manager software?

Here are my answers:

1) It is recommended to uninstall the currently installed Intel MSM Software from within the Control Panel > "Add/Remove Programs", before you are going to install any Intel Rapid Storage Technology package. The currently running Intel RAID driver should be untouched..It will be updated automaticly by the Intel RST installer.

2) Yes. the Intel RAID driver will be updated, if you run the installer (= EXE file) of the Intel RST package.

3) Yes, the actual Intel chipsets are not supported by the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers and software.

• 6. Re: ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller with Win XP Pro: Best software?
                    Futurepower(R)

We uninstalled the Matrix Storage Manager software and installed the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL that you recommended. We checked the IaStor.sys file, it is the version in the v11.2.0.1006 software you recommended.

However, we are still having problems. One RAID array, the boot array, seems okay. The backup RAID array fails. We also get a STOP 9087 error when starting the computer, which an online search says is caused by IaStor.sys.

The BSOD help - Intel Driver Error - iaStor.sys Intel Forum post says, "Have you replaced your hard drive recently?  If so take a look on the drive itself and see if it says AF in a small box.  If so, this implies that it is an Advanced Format drive and could be the source of your problem."

Is new technology in hard drives an issue?

I'm amazed at how badly Intel is managed. I wrote a Slashdot comment about that.

• 7. Re: ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller with Win XP Pro: Best software?
                      Futurepower(R)

I found this information from Seagate about Advanced Format drives: "Use Windows Vista (Service Pack 1 or later) or Windows 7 to create hard drive partitions."

Is it necessary to use Windows 7 to format drives and then install them in Windows XP SP3 computers?

Message was edited by: Michael Jennings

• 8. Re: ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH1OR/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller with Win XP Pro: Best software?
                        Fernando

Futurepower(R) schrieb:

However, we are still having problems. One RAID array, the boot array, seems okay. The backup RAID array fails. We also get a STOP 9087 error when starting the computer, which an online search says is caused by IaStor.sys.

Such messages are very often absolutely misleading. According to my long-term experiences with RAID drivers the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 is the most stable and performant RAID driver Intel has ever developed.

Futurepower(R) schrieb:

I found this information from Seagate about Advanced Format drives: "Use Windows Vista (Service Pack 1 or later) or Windows 7 to create hard drive partitions."

Is it necessary to use Windows 7 to format drives and then install them in Windows XP SP3 computers?

No, this advice obviously has been given for Vista or Win7 users and not for users, who want to run Windows XP.