2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 9:51 PM by E_Hitzke

What configuration server should I get?

Im working in a company now,

we have a lan network of about 400-500 PCs with windows Xp OS

we want a server configuration for that

Suppose we have a servers..

we have atleast 4 applications running on the server, which would be accessed by these 500 PCs

what should be the best or optimum

Processor Speed (Ghz) of the server

and also the              

Main memory

secondary memory

that intel can recomend?

• 1. Re: What configuration server should I get?

This is a tough question to answer as there are a lot of variables in play, although at first blush 500 users is a significant user base for a single server. 

There are many questions you need to think about when trying to configure the right server for your business, such as what applications, and how much will your users use these apps?  What is the network throughput needed?  What is the disk queue, network queue, CPU queue look like in perfmon when running these apps?  Do you expect your clients to access the server two or 200 times a day?

This is truly a complex question which needs a qualified network/server engineer who is familiar with the specific server and client applications they use, along with the frequency of use.  I'd recommend you locate a qualified Intel reseller who is familiar with your IT and business workflow.  Using this, along with logging and analyzing your current server system performance will give them in needed information to properly size a server system for your company with room to grow in the future.

• 2. Re: What configuration server should I get?

You can find an Intel(R) reseller members in the Intel® Channel Partner Program here: