Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

BSOD when updating drivers for Wireless-N 2200 with WIN8 x64

PMusi
Beginner

Every time I try to update the driver (also the newest driver v16.1.1) for my Wireless-N 2200 I get the BSOD (UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP - ntoskrnl.exe) when the installator is updating the driver. I tried everything - completely uninstalling drivers and files related with them didn't help. I can update the driver using Device Manager. What can be the source of this BSOD?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Please try uninstalling the driver once again from Programs and features and Device Manager, reboot after each installation. Then, delete the following folders:

If you do not see the "AppData" folder you need to "unhide " it, pres 'alt' click on 'tools' on the top of the screen then 'folder options' in folder options click on 'view' then select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" then click 'ok'.

You may also run the Microsoft* tool provided below.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled

Open cmd as admin and run the commands below, then restart.

• Netsh int ip reset
  • Netsh winsock reset

You may not need to go through all the steps. If in the end the issue persists it might be operating system corruption and therefore you may need to reinstall it (or recover the image provided by the system manufacturer).

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

PMusi
Beginner

Thanks for help but I finally found the solution. You have to run Win8 in Safe Mode with Network. Normally you can't use the wifi drivers' installer because the Windows Installer service doesn't work in Safe Mode. To make Windows Installer work under safe mode, you need to create a registry entry (this one is ONLY for safe mode WITH network) using command prompt:

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

and then:

net start msiserver

BTW I don't know if this is just my Lenovo Y580 notebook but I have the same problem with Intel chipset drivers (BSOD during updating some system devices) and using safe mode is also necessary. Furthermore I did reinstall Win8 twice and AFAIR it didn't solve the problem in both cases.

0 Kudos