1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 12:20 PM by spearson

DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating

JDasksalot

Hello and thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

I have recently spent a considerably large amount of funds to build a

DZ87klt-75k w/

i7 4770k processor

series 520 240gb ssd (OS)

Hitachi 1TB HD (data)

G-skill 32g 2800 ram (from memory test list)

Gigabyte 7950 HD graphics card

Rosewill lightning 1300w psu*

Thermaltake VL800 series V3 black chassis

(4) 140mm 2400rpm exhaust fans (includes psu exhaust)

(2) 140mm 2400rpm intake fans

(1) side chassis free air inlet

(2) peripheral (dvd/cd) open slot free air inlet

*yes this is not a "approved" psu and I have the power off restart issue..... whatever... not my biggest issue.

The issue I am having that the Super I/O chipset "Z87" is giving constant and repeated overheating warnings after only minutes of game play. I have done a lot of research on this and for some reason I can find no data about it. I KNOW I am not special.....

Things I have noticed in my researching include that the primary pci x16 slot for graphics centers the higher level cards directly over the Si/o heat sink, is this intentional to monitor graphics temps by the MB? Sure does not make sense due to the heat generation of high level graphics.

p.s. the graphics card is having zero overheating issues

The next thing I noticed was that the "aftermarket" dz87 vendors are replacing the z87 heat sink (and others) with much more robust and even fan cooled options. This indicates to me that the overheat issue on this aspect has actually been noted and that solutions are being engineered for their boards.

The last thing I found, which brought me here for help, is that there seems to be no fix for this for those of us that have purchased this board as it was originally designed (from Intel ). Please consider I have researched this, these "after market" vendors also sell not "upgrade" option for individual sale to supplement what seems to me to be an oversight in design.

Is there any advice that can be offered for this, I would hope others may find it useful as well? Again, thank you for any help that can be offered, my apologies if this is a difficult one to answer.

• 1. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
          Diego_Intel

Are you referring to the PCH?

What are the temperature values that you are seeing for that part?

Keep in mind that these part are common to be hot as indicated on the technical product specification (TPS) of the motherboard, on page 69:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22677/eng/DZ87KLT-75K_TechProdSpec02.pdf

• 2. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
            spearson

What application is generating these alerts? Is it Intel(R) Desktop Utilities (IDU)? If so, is IDU actually saying "SIO" or is it saying "PCH"?

• 3. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
              JDasksalot

Thanks for replies;

Diego_Intel:  I have seen the specs where the temp limt runs around 80c ( did not commit it to memory if this is a little off) The initial warning begins @ 58c. This is the beginning and where no matter what application is open, the warning interrupts its operation. I have seen the temp as high as 65c, since I don't want to be the blame in frying my board this is where I closed all apps and placed two box fans by the pc to help cool it.

spearson:  Yes it is the IDU. The message does state "SIO", not the other.

Hope this added data helps.

• 4. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                Diego_Intel

Please make sure that you are using the latest Intel(R) Desktop Utilities available here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20488&lang=eng&OSVersion=&DownloadType=Software%20Applications

In addition install the latest BIOS posted at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23001&ProdId=3598&lang=eng

And use the latest Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver posted in here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+8+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Board+DZ87KLT-75K

I have been checking for any value that would be labeled as SIO in the Intel(R) Desktop Utilities but I do not see any. Have you checked in Intel(R) Desktop Utilities and see the temperature ranges reported there and have you seen anything abnormal there?

• 5. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                  bandrija

I've been monitoring your conversation:

i5-4670

DZ87KLT-70K

Kingston Predator KHX18C9T2K2/8X

SSD 520 - 480 GB

HDD Seagate - 2TB (ST2000VX002-1AH1)

ATI Sapphire HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

BIOS - 0344

IDU - 3.2.6.068a

Intel ME - 9.0.5.1367

Problem is the same: Super I/O (SIO) controlled by Nuvoton NCT6683 reports through IDU that is over threshold (68 C) within a few minutes of gameplay. Climbs to 73 and stays there. When game is closed it returns to 67 C. Looks like 67 C is standard operational temperature: when computer starts temperature climbs to 67 C and stays there. All other temperature reports are (from my point of view) within normal working parameters - nothing abnormal.

No problems in computers performance.System.JPGHM1.JPG

HM2.JPG

HM3.JPG

ATI7850.JPG

• 6. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                    JDasksalot

Diego_Intel,

Thanks for the assistance, have had some busy times of recent and was not able to reply sooner.

I replaced the MB, it was under the vendors 30day replacement warranty and eliminated the variable of the overheating being a rare occurrence from a one in a million soldering/component error. I am glad I did this also as I have found a few more things in the process which may have led to my issue.

Yes my IDU was current, the bios I can only assume now was post dated as the newest bios I have now has also solved the power off restart issue. I do not recall loading the ME driver previously, so I am sure it was post dated also if even there.

The things I have noticed in the process of swapping out the MB is that in the new bios the high temp critical/warning temp (not sure of exact phrase and can't see it in bios as I type online) for the SIO is set by Intel (default) as 58c. With that noted the warning temp in the IDU, now, is set to 67c as default. The previous MB for some reason it was set to 58c in the IDU same as in the bios, this is not something I would change ever. Overall, now, no warnings though the idea that this is the highest temp on the board and 15c above ever other temp I have keep me weary while knowing the board is preforming within published spec for all temps.

New items I will be researching, the IDU seems to be confused about what fans I have plugged in, i.e.. where they are located on the board. Will be looking for the new revision of the IDU firmware. Last would be locating where in the bios I set the memory to xmp mode.

I want to thank everyone for their assistance, it was a group effort to get me running again with no warning messages.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                      Diego_Intel

JDasksalot, thank you for your feedback on this matter. Concerning the other behvaiour you have found, we appreciate if another topic may be created for this.

bandrija, you might try what has been done by JDasksalot in order to solve this issue. Furthermore, can you also provide the AA number and Serial number of the motherboard you are using. The AA number is located on a white bar code sticker on the motherboard, most of times located between the memory slots and processor socket. Or it is also found on one side of the motherboard's box. The Serial number is close to it. You may check the following link to see where it is located:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009008.htm

Additionally, please use the Intel® System Identification Utility using the following site:

http://www.intel.com/support/siu_la.htm?wapkw=%28siu%29

That will generate an 8 digits code called Report Reference ID.  Please let us have that code, this will provide us information on what is being detected on your system.

Still, I will be checking with the developers to know what would be a safe temperature range, as the threshold value for this temperature is not available on the technical product specification (TPS), so this could be easily fixed by setting the properly threshold in IDU. I'll let you know when I get their response

Message was edited by: Diego Arce

• 8. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                        spearson

First, I will try to address as many of these primary/secondary issues as I can…

1. bandrija: I can't tell if you misunderstand or are just using unfortunate wording. The Nuvoton NCT6683D *is* the Super I/O (SIO) chip. This SIO, unlike most SIOs used in Desktop board designs, includes an internal temperature sensor – and we are taking advantage of it.
                        2. JDasksalot: The SIO doesn't have a heatsink on it, nor is it part of the Z87 chipset. It is the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) that has the heatsink on it and the PCH *is* the Z87 chipset (per se). Barring bad cable routing, I can only see the SIO being covered up if you have a wide card (a second graphics card, for example) in the PCIe x8 slot and/or you use a full-length mPCIe card (such as an MSATA SSD).
                        3. JDasksalot: I cannot comment on other vendor’s solutions. What I will say is that the heatsink/heatpipe solutions used on the PCH on our 8 Series boards have been tested thoroughly and provide robust, to-spec thermal dissipation.
                        4. JDasksalot: I don't understand your statement: "IDU seems to be confused about what fans I have plugged in". What do you mean by this? Please elaborate (don’t be terse).
                        5. JDasksalot: No BIOS has shipped with a default threshold of 58c. I am unsure how you got to this number. I will say one thing, however: any change that you make in the monitoring and fan speed control parameters – whether done from Visual BIOS or from Intel® Desktop Utilities – will override the defaults that are included in any new BIOS that you install. If you want to be absolutely sure that you are using the defaults included in a new BIOS that you install, you need to go into Visual BIOS and do a Restore Defaults operation.

Ok, now to the main issue…

The existing BIOSs include a default SIO Control Temperature of 60c and default SIO Over-Temperature and All-On Temperature thresholds of 68c. The latest version of the SIO’s datasheet states that the SIO's operating temperature range is 0-70c. I conclude that the BIOS defaults need to be adjusted. I have opened a defect against all of the 8 Series boards/BIOSs to have this corrected…

If you would like to set the parameters yourself ahead of any new BIOS releases being made available (since they may take some time to appear), the SIO’s Control Temperature parameter should be set to 70c and the SIO’s Over-Temperature and All-On Temperature parameters should be set to 78c. The Over-Temperature parameter can be set within Intel® Desktop Utilities or Visual BIOS; the other parameters can only be set from within Visual BIOS...

Finally, I want to reiterate something I said earlier: any change that you make in the monitoring and fan speed control parameters – whether done from Visual BIOS or from Intel® Desktop Utilities – will override the defaults that are included in any new BIOS that you install.  When we provide the updated BIOSs with these settings adjusted, you will have to go into Visual BIOS and do a Restore Defaults operation in order to see the defaults…

...Scott

• 9. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                          bandrija

Version #: G74721-304

S/N: BQKT321000PF

Intel System Identification Utility Reference Number: 0208 3709

• 10. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                            bandrija

Let's file it under - unfortunate wording: I did not know location of temperature sensor.

My other computer (DZ77GA-70K) does not monitor SIO temperature (Winbond W83677HG), as you kindly explained, so that was something new for me.

Yes, in BIOS (0344) default setting for SIO temp is 60C (threshold 68C).

I will correct the temperatures in Visual BIOS to 70/78C as you suggested until new version od BIOS is been released.

• 11. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                              JDasksalot

Thank you all again for the help you have been able to offer with my now previous concerns.

@ spearson

ordered as you have listed above to eliminate confusion for any others following the thread.

2.  Thank you, I was not aware of that, or as you stated in 1 above that that chip was the SIO. I definitely had these confused as to their location on the motherboard. The following image (page) from the TPS is where I gained my assumption as to the location of the SIO. [ In case the picture does not transfer well it is page 36; figure 7 in the TPS]

Intel TPS temp sense locations.PNG

You may notice that while Item G does specify the Z87 chipset, it is the only thermal diode which is not the processor. Yes, I made an incorrect assumption from this since I had not before today bothered to get a magnifying glass and start reading the print on the circuit board components.

3. Now educated... I accept this as I have had no issues with the PCH throwing warning messages ever.

4. This has been solved through the reading of other threads where others have had similar issue. Somewhat being lazy, below is what I have done to no longer have this issue, for any others following.

starting with: rear fan 1 (center board plug) not recognized while operation unimpeded

front fan 2 (top right corner of board) labeled aux fan output while being input and operating fine

CPU fan ...... not recognized, displaying rpm, while operating fine

a. Restore ALL defaults (BIOS, IDU, graphics, windows8)

b. Reboot and check IDU fan status

c. Re- install the most current version of Intel Desktop Utility

d. Reboot and check IDU fan status

e. repeat steps a - d

f. repeat steps c and d

All fans at this point were finally reporting proper connection location, flow direction, relative speed. I      suspect possible corruption of the download file for IDU due to network/internet or whatever.

5. The number initially as I saw it was from the warning message from the IDU on the original motherboard and then found in both the IDU and the BIOS. As stated in my previous post, I do not recall what version of anything I had installed, just that "I" did not adjust any temp setting anywhere ever on that motherboard.

You have stated above that these settings are joined between the BIOS and the IDU. Since the temp settings were still present after swapping the motherboard it would seem they were saved with the IDU on the solid state drive. After I installed the new motherboard and powered it, I think I can safely assume, the IDU then implemented the previous settings to this new board. Even though I downloaded and installed the newest Bios and newest IDU for the new board, I did not, and probably could not, install them in tandem which would allow for the saving of the previous setting still. From 4 above I have restored all defaults (twice) which should handle any saving of data throughout.

Since before my previous posting (replacing the motherboard) I have not had any temp issues and suspect my original issue stemmed from the rare anomaly of a bad component on that specific board.

That is great news about the upcoming new Bios revision, since I am not currently having the overheat issue or for see any either, I would like to keep my "don't touch any warning notification settings" demeanor. Apparently some settings in the past may or may not have been ideal, yet the warnings they created did alert me to issues with the system and that is a great thing you developers at Intel have done for consumers.

P.S. At this point I am ready to mark this thread as assumed answered unless Intel would prefer it stay open.

• 12. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                                bluebeast44

Hi Diego_Intel,

I also recently have purchased the DZ87KLT-75K Intel Motherboard and am experiencing this same exact problem.

My SI/O chip also gives me overheating warning through the Intel Desktop Utilities. I have not had this problem until a couple of days ago. It says that it has exceeded 58 degrees celsius. This happens only after playing a game like battlefield 3 for half an hour. I have liquid CPU cooling and lots of cooling so I was wondering how to solve this problem.

I have looked to see which chip is on the board with low success.

Would an individual chip heatsink solve this problem?

Elegant Chipset Heatsink - 15mm x 11mm x 25mm - Anodized Blue - FrozenCPU.com </title><TITLE>Passive Elegant Chipset Heatsink - 15mm x 11mm x 25mm - Anodized Blue

sio.png

It reached 55 degrees celsius after only playing battlefield 3 for 5 minutes

Thanks,

Liam

• 13. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                                  Diego_Intel

Hello Liam, I suggest that you check the response that has been provided by spearson on this issue, who provided an extensive and detailed explanation for this behavior.

• 14. Re: DZ87KLT-75K Super I/O overheating
                                    bluebeast44

Thank you very much Diego! I just wanted to clarify and make sure I had the same problem.

Liam

1 2 Previous Next