Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Processor (4770) reaching 100C!!

AA24
Beginner

Hello everyone, I'm new here and hope someone would be able to help me.

I just built a new computer few days ago. The specs are as follows:

i7 4770 processor

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard

Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB (2x8 GB) 2400MHz DDR3 PC3-19200

XFX AMD Radeon 7990 6gb

PSU Coolermaster Silent pro gold 1000w

I have disabled the onboard sound and graphics, I'm using USB speakers.

I have on SSD and one HDD

And this case: http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower-k-series/k280.html Cooler Master: K280

As soon as I started playing BattleField 3, I noticed the fans of the computer really loud, I touched the case (motherboard side) and it was hot. I checked the temperatures after 10 minutes of play, and it was 100 degrees Celsius!

Typically, I suspected that the heatsink was not mounted correctly, I reseated the heatsink even though it appeared to be seated correctly. Problem persisted. I tried to rewire the cables so not to obstruct the airflow... there was few degrees drop during idle but did not reduce the 100C degrees after 10 minutes game play.

I removed the stock heatsink and thermal paste. I got Cooler Master Hyper 212 X with Cooler Master thermal paste. I also updated my motherboard bios and adjusted the bios CPU performance settings from "auto" to "normal" (CPU voltage, frequency, etc)... and installed a side fan to cool the GPU. I did not install exhaust fan at the upper rear side of the case because as expected the exhaust flow seemed to be OK.

Now, the temperature during gameplay is under 71 degrees however I've noticed that the max temperature reached (as shown in HWMonitor) was 85C and in another gaming session 75C. The CPU fan max speed was recorded at 15K ! Normal operation usually around 2.5K.

These temperatures, I believe, are still far too high for full load operation (IF playing battlefield 3 is even considered a full load)... Add to that, the fact that I was able to achieve this lower (but still high) temperature only after I installed a heat sink that is originally designed for over clocked processors.

What shall I do in this case? I'm really feeling frustrated as all the technicians I've met earlier today and all the internet pages I've viewed seems to agree on two things... Overheating CPU is either because of heat sink or thermal paste. I've already checked and replaced and rechecked heat sink and I've already reapplied thermal paste. And i'm still suffering from excessively high processor temperatures.

One commenter at one of the online forums mentioned something about some chips having heat issues and were exchanged, but I could not verify this information.

Please suggest a technical solution to this problem... I really want to get over this issue and start enjoying my new computer!

If a technical solution is not possible and an exchange must be done, how can I exchange the processor? I already sent email to intel's techincal support but I'm not expecting any reply from them... as their website said after emailing them that I will receive an automated email response containing links suggesting solutions to my problem! nothing was mentioned about being contacted by a rep.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AA24
Beginner

by the way, the room is centrally air conditioned, the temperature is usually set at 21C but after this CPU overheating I dropped the AC temp to 19C!

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

The best thing you could do in order to isolate this issue would be swapping the processor for another one.

You have done much of the troubleshooting that is required for this kind of issues, however at this point the root cause could be the motherboard (misreading temperatures from the system) or the processor (which is not common but is still a possibility). You may ask a friend for a compatible processor or test this processor in a compatibility and known working motherboard.

You may hold to get a reply for the email you have sent, keep in mind that the technical support is available Monday to Friday during local business hours. You may also try to contact your local support with the contact information on this URL:

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

0 Kudos
AA24
Beginner

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I will not be to try another processor on my motherboard. I asked one of the reputable computer workshop to do the testing for me, but they charge over 100 bucks just to receive the desktop and wait for about a week them to give me a word back, plus they are about an hour drive away from home so getting there is difficult enough.

I had already checked the page you provided the link for. There seems no contact details within MENA region. I would assume there is at least a regional office in Dubai, UAE and a distributor in Kuwait (where I am). But no such details are available on that page.

So it has been a week since I sent my email to the technical support and still no reply. I keep monitoring the CPU temperature and now the temperature does reach 80C but I didn't see it exceed that. I've set my bios CPU temp warning at 90C now.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello OverheatingCPU,

I strongly recommend you checking the TIM on your processor.

Intel has developed software called Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. This software will run a test on the processor to diagnose the internal components of the product. You can download the software at the following link:

For Windows 7 32 bit:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19791&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%20*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

For Windows 7 64 bit:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%20*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

I recommend you running these steps and if issue persists, contact your local support so we can proceed replacing the product.

0 Kudos
RRhod
Beginner

have you tried using water cooling?

0 Kudos