Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Matrix storage : possible to add a raid1 partition?

idata
Employee

Hi

I have an ICH9R board and intel matrix storage. I previously had a 1TB drive with 250GB free. I added a second 250GB hard drive. Is it possible to create a raid1 volume (end of 1TB drive+full 250GB drive) withtout loosing all my data on the other 750GB of the drive? I don't see how to do it in the matrix storage console.

I know it's possible to do this with software raid but vista doesn't support software raid-1.

thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi, zorxd. What you want to do isn't possible using the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager. Disks are pulled into an array, there's no way to pull portions of disks. If you wanted to create RAID 1 using both of those disks, you'd lose the remaining 750GB on the 1TB disk. You always want to use disks of equal or similar sizes for RAID to avoid the problem of unusable capacity.

idata
Employee

Ok thanks for the answer. I guess I will have to go with regular backups until microsoft release a desktop windows version with software raid1