8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 5:04 PM by DoctorTom

l217 V Server 2012 Essentials Driver & 4600 Driver

MMonkey

Hi,

I need some help . I have an ASUS H87I-PLUS motherboard . I am using Server 2012 Essentials x64 R2 Preview

L217 V Gigabit lan. I don't have a driver . the Windows 8 64 bit doesn't work so I have had to force the L217 LM driver on there .I am not sure what the "LM" & "V"stand for.

HD 4600  your latest driver Installs fine but.. After the restart prompted by the installer. The Audio icon display's a red cross and I get problems trying to launch the HD Graphics Properties and the Server manager.

(just a note that I tried to use your "Automatic driver detection program" on your website and it fails to load the required plugins Could this be a Internet Explorer 11 thing ?) 

I decided to see what drivers Windows 8.1 Preview x64 installs . And I have had more success. It installs  the L217 V Driver (it is an Intel Driver according to the driver details , so where Can I download it from ?

the HD Graphics 4600 first displays a Microsoft Basic display Driver , but then goes off and downloads a more up to date version which is a higher revision than the one I can download from the Intel site . (9.18.10.3222). Where can I download this from?

I know these are preview builds, and I accept the fact that there might be install issues and problems . If someone can point me towards these drivers HD Graphics (9.18.10.3222) and the (L217 V) even if they are beta I don't mind . I can test and report back .

Thanks

• 1. Re: l217 V Server 2012 Essentials Driver & 4600 Driver
          mark_h_@intel

I can tell you about the network driver, but the graphics driver is something i don't know about.

The Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V is a device that is qualified on client versions of Windows, but not on Server versions. That's why you can find a driver on Windows 8 (and Windows 8.1) but not on the Server OS. Of course you can force some other driver like you already tried.

No drivers for the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V (or I217-LM) will be available to download for the preview versions of Windows. The preview driver is the one that is installed when you install the preview version of Windows.

The automatic detection program won't recognize the preview versions of Windows, so I don't know if any browser will work. You could try running IE from the desktop instead of the version you launch from the tile on the start screen. I know that in Windows 8, you had to run the browser from the desktop, because the versioin from the start screen was different and did not support the extra functionality needed for automatic detection. Since your version of Windows won't be recognized, it might not matter what browser you use.

Have fun checking out the preview versions. Even though everything isn't quite final yet, the preview versions have some cool functionality. I'm looking forward to upgrading my Ultrabook to Windows 8.1 after Microsoft makes it an official release.

Mark H

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: l217 V Server 2012 Essentials Driver & 4600 Driver
            MMonkey

HI Mark,

Thanks for Clarifying that. I will have to continue to force the networking driver on there for the moment. I just need this elusive Graphics Driver version . I have the Driver in .Cab form but I couldn't seem to manage to get it installed .

Does anyone seem to know where these Drivers came from ? Here is the exert from the Inf file. you can see the driver version

;=============================================================================
            ;
            ; Copyright (c) Intel Corporation (2013).
            ;
            ; INTEL MAKES NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND REGARDING THE CODE.  THIS CODE IS
            ; LICENSED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND INTEL WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY SUPPORT,
            ; ASSISTANCE, INSTALLATION, TRAINING OR OTHER SERVICES.  INTEL DOES NOT
            ; PROVIDE ANY UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS OR EXTENSIONS.  INTEL SPECIFICALLY
            ; DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT, FITNESS FOR ANY
            ; PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ANY OTHER WARRANTY.  Intel disclaims all liability,
            ; including liability for infringement of any proprietary rights, relating to
            ; use of the code. No license, express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise,
            ; to any intellectual property rights is granted herein.
            ;
            ;=============================================================================

;
            ; Installation inf for the Intel Corporation graphics adapter.
            ;
            [Version]
            Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
            Provider=%Intel%
            ClassGUID={4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
            Class=Display
            CatalogFile=igdlh.cat
            DriverVer=06/24/2013,9.18.10.3222
            ;
            ; Package Info for Co-Installer
            ;
            [PackageInfo]
            Name=Graphics
            INFSource=%1%

[SignatureAttributes]
            igdumdim32.dll=SignatureAttributes.PETrust
            igd10iumd32.dll=SignatureAttributes.PETrust
            igdusc32.dll=SignatureAttributes.PETrust
            igdmd32.dll=SignatureAttributes.PETrust

igfxexps.dll=SignatureAttributes.PETrust

iglhcp32.dll=SignatureAttributes.PETrust
            iglhsip32.dll=SignatureAttributes.PETrust
            igfxcmrt32.dll=SignatureAttributes.PETrust

[SignatureAttributes.PETrust]
            PETrust=true

[DestinationDirs]
            DefaultDestDir  = 11  ; system32
            igfx.Miniport   = 12  ; drivers
            igfx.UserMode   = 11  ; system32

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated

• 3. Re: l217 V Server 2012 Essentials Driver & 4600 Driver
              Robert_U

@Mmonkey. The graphics drivers for the Server2012 R2 preview are currently only available on the Preview installation DVD and as an update from Windows* Update.

• 4. Re: l217 V Server 2012 Essentials Driver & 4600 Driver
                MMonkey

@Robert_U

I had to go back home before I replied and I have double checked. All updates from MS have been done .And just the base Microsoft driver is installed. If the drivers are on the ISO downloaded from the internet where would they be located ?

All I did for verifying the Windows update was to click check for updates. Is there something else I need to do in order to check for drivers as well ?  I have opened up device manager and selected update driver and that apparently should download the latest one from Microsoft  .

Any other comments / suggestion for getting an updated driver for the 4600 on Server 2012 essentials R2 ?

• 5. Re: l217 V Server 2012 Essentials Driver & 4600 Driver
                  Robert_U

@Mmonkey

I am not sure where on the .iso Microsoft places the files. However, upon looking at your scenario a little closer, it may be they do not have an Intel(R) Iris(TM) and HD Graphics driver available yet either on the Preview DVD or WU. I would recommend contacting your board manufacturer to see if they have drivers available specifically for your board and Server 2012.

• 6. Re: l217 V Server 2012 Essentials Driver & 4600 Driver
                    MMonkey

@Robert_U / @Mark_H_@intel

Ok So . I Installed the 8.1Preview and let Windows Update install the driver package. I then Copied Said Driver file which was a lot bigger than the one I found claiming to be the 9.18.10.3222 driver from the Internet. (180mb verses 300mb)

My Graphics and Audio Installed   on Server 2012 Essentials R2. I did however notice that the audio supported formats were not all there so I just used my Manufacturers Intel audio driver for Win 8 and got all of the Dolby True HD stuff etc installed . So that part is now correct .

What I need a little bit more help with is the Network Driver . I know Windows 8.1 install my network card out of the box as a Intel  L217V network card . When I search for this on Intel's site I am told that it is Called PROWinX64 driver package.  So When I try to install this I cant find any reference to the L217 V Card in there . Which Is strange.

I have found another driver package which is revision 18.4 that has a L217LM driver in it which is what I am Forcing Windows to install . but as I am a perfectionist and I know my device is a V and not LM I want to try and get the correct one if I can .

Any Suggestions ?

• 7. Re: l217 V Server 2012 Essentials Driver & 4600 Driver
                      MMonkey

Ok This is Weird . When I select the 18.4 driver Package . On my current my  Windows 8 pc . I then select "let me pick the driver to install" select the first inf file in the list under n63 folder . I can see the correct driver L217 V to install . If I then do this on the Windows server 2012 Essentials R2 I can no longer see the correct driver . Crazy

• 8. Re: l217 V Server 2012 Essentials Driver & 4600 Driver
                        DoctorTom

I  am likewise trying to install 2012 Server essentials on an Asus H87I-Plus and was beginning to think that my LAN chip was bad as every time I tried to install the drivers for win 8 for the L217V I got an error that no NIC was found.

MMonkey: You mentioned that you were able to force windows to load the I217LM driver - can you provide me with details?  That would help immensely.

Thanks,

Tom.