6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 3:08 AM by Fernando

where do i find Intel GM965 Express Chipset driver download for custom boot disc

moonblum

Hi, I'm trying to fix my computer and hope someone can help me to find/download the drivers I'm looking for.  I am trying to create a custom windows xp pro boot disk using nlite for my toshiba portege m700-S7005V laptop.  I tried doing one of my periodic reformats to keep my old laptop running smooth but for some reason this time around i got a "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer." error from my windows xp pro cd.  I discovered that if i change the mode in my bios from SATA to IDE that the windows cd would detect the hard drive and let me complete my install.  So i did that.  But now my computer doesn't seem as nice as it use to be so i want to change it back to SATA mode but if i do that, windows won't boot.  I tried making some changes in the registry so i could change back to SATA mode in the BIOS but that didn't didn't work.  I think i need to reformat it again with the SATA drivers on hand so i can do a windows os install with the bios in the correct SATA mode.  I found this link which describes my problem exactly:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/toshiba/22795-how-install-portege-m700-s...

however, i get stuck on it's suggestion on downloading the divers for the Intel GM965 Express Chipset in order to add it to a boot disc.  A kind Intel support person directed me to this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=gm965

but when i chose windows xp pro for the operating system the only results i get are for the graphics drivers.  Can someone help me figures out when drivers i need to download and install onto my custom boot disc in order to get my SATA hard drive working again?

Thanks!

Rachel

• 1. Re: where do i find Intel GM965 Express Chipset driver download for custom boot disc
          Fernando

Hello Rachel,

what you have to integrate into the Windows XP CD is not an Intel Chipset driver, but an Intel AHCI driver, which does support the Intel SATA AHCI Controller of your Toshiba laptop.

For users, who want to create a bootable XP CD with integrated Intel AHCI (or RAID) driver, I have written a guide, which you can find here: http://www.win-raid.com/t22f23-Integration-of-Intels-AHCI-RAID-drivers-into-a-Windows-XP-CD.html

I recommend to integrate the 32bit Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL. You will find the download link within the linked guide. When you get the nLite popup window and are asked, which of the various Intel AHCI and RAID Controllers shall be supported, just check the "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller".

Good luck!

Fernando

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: where do i find Intel GM965 Express Chipset driver download for custom boot disc
            moonblum

Fernando!

Thank you so much for your help!  However, I downloaded and integrated the 32bit Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL (choosing text mode and selecting "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller") and added service pack 3 (WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe), but when i changed the bios back to AHCI and booted to the custom xp disc, it still said, "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."    What did i do wrong?

--Rachel

• 3. Re: where do i find Intel GM965 Express Chipset driver download for custom boot disc
              Fernando

Hello Raquel,

after having read your linked duscussion, I have realized, that your laptop has an Intel ICH8M SATA AHCI Controller, which is not supported by any of the actual Intel AHCI drivers.

So you have to integrate either one of the very old original Intel RST drivers, which natively do support your special AHCI Controller (e.g. RST v10.1.0.1008 WHQL) or the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006, which has been customized by me for being usable with all Intel AHCI systems from ICH7R/M up.

You will find the Intel RST driver v10.1.0.1008 WHQL here:  http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-R-RST-RSTe-Drivers-actual-RST-e-v-WHQL.html

The download link to the modded "Universal" Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 is within my guide (see the link I posted before).

Important: When you get the nLite Textmode Driver Popup, you should just check the listed "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" (v10.1.0.1008 WHQL) resp. "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando)" (v11.2.0.1006 mod).

Good luck!

Fernando

• 4. Re: where do i find Intel GM965 Express Chipset driver download for custom boot disc
                moonblum

Fernando,

Thanks so much!  That worked!  The disc finally recognized the hard drive.  I got it formatted and installation started but it got caught in some kind of loop.  It would boot and begin unattended installation and then stop.  When it stops it displays "Windows XP Professional Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111 (Service Pack 3)" in the corner with an error message of "Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation."  And then it restarts.  I saw on your link some mention of SP3 being necessary but wasn't sure if that applied to me.  I went ahead and included it just to be safe but now i wonder if i shouldn't have.  I wonder if this error is related to my original problem of having the xp install disc recognize the hard drive.  I'm going to try it again without SP3 installed and without all the tweaks (i should have done that the first time but got so excited by all the custom options).  Thanks so much for you help!  Hopefully this next disc will do the trick.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: where do i find Intel GM965 Express Chipset driver download for custom boot disc
                  moonblum

Fernando!

Thank you so much for your help!  The 2nd book disc (SP3-less) did it.  I am back in business and couldn't be more grateful.  BTW you called me "Raquel".  That is what the Brazilian people here call me.  Where are you from may i ask?  Anyway, I feel so UN-knowledgeable about motherboards and chipsets and hardware and etc. after this ordeal.  Where do you suggest i go to learn more so i can begin to par with your genius?  I want to learn more!  Thanks again so much for all your help! 

--Rachel

• 6. Re: where do i find Intel GM965 Express Chipset driver download for custom boot disc
                    Fernando

Hello Rachel,

it is fine, that you succeeded at least with the creation of a bootable XP CD, which detects the Intel ICH8M SATA AHCI Controller of your system without any problem, and it was a peasure for me to help you.

moonblum schrieb:

Where are you from may i ask?

I am a German and live in Germany very close to the (European) North Sea.

moonblum schrieb:

Where do you suggest i go to learn more so i can begin to par with your genius?  I want to learn more!

For users like you I have written a lot of informations and guides within this Forum: http://www.win-raid.com/

Kind regards

Dieter (alias Fernando)