7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 10:52 AM by Diego_Intel

Reset Disks to Non-Raid

mville

I setup 2 x Raid 1 volumes on my PC using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option ROM utility.

Volume 1 (named System Raid) has the Windows 7 OS installed on it, while volume 2 (named Data Raid) has my data. Both volumes are 1TB in size.

I would like to copy/replace the volume 2 Data RAID (2 x 1TB drives) with 2 x 4TB drives.

What is the best way to go about configuring this, without losing data?

Can I Reset Disks to Non-Raid using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option ROM utility for volume 2 only, without affecting volume 1, which has the OS installed on it? TIA

• 1. Re: Reset Disks to Non-Raid
          Diego_Intel

Just to be sure on the configuration you are using, how many hard drives are installed in the system?

Are you using 4 hard drives, and each RAID volume in pairs? If this is the current configuration, you should be able to do this just settings the desired volume to non RAID and following the information on this article:

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (Intel(R) RST) | Move a RAID 1 volume to larger hard drive

If you are using 2 drives, using what is called Matrix RAID configuration, then this would not be possible. You would need to back up and create a new RAID one with the new drives.

• 2. Re: Reset Disks to Non-Raid
            mville

I have 4 drives, set as 2 x Raid 1 volumes.

The first Raid 1 volume has the OS. The second Raid 1 volume has data.

It is the second Raid 1 volume that I wish to upgrade to larger drives, without messing with the first Raid 1 volume, that has the OS.

• 3. Re: Reset Disks to Non-Raid
              Diego_Intel

Then as mentioned on my first response, you can follow the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (Intel(R) RST) | Move a RAID 1 volume to larger hard drive article for this.

• 4. Re: Reset Disks to Non-Raid
                mville

Diego_Intel

I have started following the instructions as you have advised. I have replaced one of the hard drives with the larger drive, have booted into windows and launched Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

However point 5. in the instructions say Click Rebuild to another disk. This option is not available or I can't find it.

IRST.jpg

Please advise?

• 5. Re: Reset Disks to Non-Raid
                  Diego_Intel

The option to rebuild would be Under ‘Status’ or ‘Manage’, in the storage system view, click the volume you want to rebuild. The element properties are now displayed on the left. Then, next to the status you would see an option that says ‘Rebuild to another disk’. In the Rebuild Volume dialog, select the disk that will replace the failed disk. Only compatible disks in a normal state will be displayed. Click ‘OK’ to confirm. The volume starts rebuilding and the page refreshes displaying the progress of the operation. You can use other applications during this time and you will be notified when the process has successfully completed.

From what I see in your screenshot is that the rebuild option is not there, and this might be due t the size of the new drive and the limitations that your Option ROM would have as this would be an outdated version if this is using Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager.

You can check for an updated BIOS for your computer/motherboard so this should update the RAID option ROM in your system. Also the computer should feature a recent SATA controller to be validated for 3 TB drives support.

• 6. Re: Reset Disks to Non-Raid
                    mville

So, to confirm:

Windows 7 sees my 4TB drive OK, but the Intel Option ROM (v.9.6.0.1014) has a drive size limitation, which is why I don't see the Rebuild Option?

What is the size limitation for Intel Option ROM v.9.6.0.1014?

(FYI, I am currently using Intel RST v.10.6.0.1022)

• 7. Re: Reset Disks to Non-Raid
                      Diego_Intel

A mature version such as 9.6 would not work with bootable volumes larger than 2 TB, at that time 2 TB or larger drives were not available yet. So a 4 TB drive would not be validated for your system configuration.

1 of 1 people found this helpful