10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2013 8:15 AM by geohei

IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up

geohei

Hi.

Z77, Win7 x64.

After installing iata_cd.exe (11.6.0.1030), the IRST windows down't show up anymore. Just nothing happens!

Also, the Intel Control Center doesn't show the application anymore.

With 11.1.0.1106 all this worked.

What went wrong?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
          Fernando

The Intel RST Software v11.6.0.1030 obviously has not been properly installed.

How did you install the package? Have you uninstalled the previously used IRST Software and rebooted, before you installed the actual IRST version?

Since the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology from v11.5.xxxxx up works with an additional SCSI driver named iaStorF.sys, the Installation procedure is totally different from the previous IRST versions (latest: v11.2.0.1006), which don't use an SCSI driver. That is why you should not install any IRST package from v11.5 up just on top of an older IRST package.

My advice:

Uninstall the "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" Software, reboot and reinstall it.

• 2. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
            geohei

Is there no risk that I loose my RAID1 integrity when uninstalling IRST?

Do I need to reboot after uninstall and before install of 11.6?

• 3. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
              Fernando

@ geohei:

1. No, you will not loose your RAID1 integrity by uninstalling the Intel RST Software.

Usually the installed Intel RAID driver will not be affected by this procedure. Furthermore Win7 has an in-box Intel RAID drive named iaStorV.sys, which is able to support your RAID1 array.

2. Yes, you should reboot after having uninstalled the IRST Software and before you are running the installer of any IRST package.

Additional note:

For a proper installation and function of the Intel RST Software Microsoft's .NET Framework v3.0 resp. v3.5 is needed. Before you are going to reinstall the IRST Software I recommend to make sure, that .NET Framework v3.0 or v3.5 is running in the background of your OS.

• 4. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
                geohei

Ok ...

1. I uninstalled 11.1

2. I rebootet

3. I installed 11.6.

Same problem. The window doesn't show up.

My Win7 is up-to-date. The "Uninstall Programs" shows I have "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile" installed. I believe that's what IRST requires, right?

• 5. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
                  Fernando

geohei schrieb:

My Win7 is up-to-date. The "Uninstall Programs" shows I have "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile" installed. I believe that's what IRST requires, right?

No, what the Intel RST Software needs is .NET Framework 3.0 or v3.5.

.NET Framework v4 and v4.5 doesn't contain .NET Framework 3.0 resp. v3.5.

Note: It is not enough to install .NET Framework v3.0 or v3.5. You will have to uninstall the v11.6 IRST Software as first step, then to install .NET Framework v3.0 or v3.5 and as last step (after a reboot) to reinstall the IRST Software.

• 6. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
                    geohei

1. How do I see which version of .NET Framework I have installed?

2. Is it possible to install multiple versions of .NET Framework in //?

3. Is the IRST 11.6 benefit towards 11.1 really worth the effort? What are the major advantages?

Strange that IRST requires .NET Framework 3.0 or 3.5. Usually, software offers downwards compatibility (so that .NET Framework 4.x would work for software designed for 3.x).

• 7. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
                      geohei

I found ...

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework

v1.0.3705

v1.1.4322

v2.0.50727

v3.0

v3.5

v4.0.30319

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64

v2.0.50727

v3.0

v3.5

v4.0.30319

Do I have .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5 now?

BTW ... how do I edit an article in this forum?

• 8. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
                        Fernando

geohei schrieb:

1. How do I see which version of .NET Framework I have installed?

2. Is it possible to install multiple versions of .NET Framework in //?

3. Is the IRST 11.6 benefit towards 11.1 really worth the effort? What are the major advantages?

1. You find them within the "Add/Remove Programs" of the Control Panel. If the OS (like Win8) contains already any .NET Framework version, you should open the "Active/Inactivate Windows Features".

2. Yes.

3. It depends on your System (chipset, SATA mode etc.).

geohei schrieb:

I found .

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework

v1.0.3705, v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727, v3.0, v3.5, v4.0.30319

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64

v2.0.50727, v3.0, v3.5, v4.0.30319

Do I have .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5 now?

Not necessarily. It is not enough to have the files of the programs within any folder of the HDD/SSD, the programs should be installed and running.

• 9. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
                          geohei

I tried to install .NET Framwork 3.5

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/0/3/703455ee-a747-4cc8-bd3e-98a615c3aedb/dotNetFx35setup.exe

After starting the downloader and acknowledging the Security Warning, nothing happend. No message, no error, no .NET Framework 3.5 installation. Any ideas ... ?

• 10. Re: IRST 11.6.0.1030 windows doesn't show up
                            geohei

For info ...

IRST 12.8.0.1016 shows the IRST window again.

Hence ... problem was apparently discovered by Intel and fixed.