1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2013 10:55 AM by sylvia_intel

Safety in RAID 1?

mpirosjr

Bought a dell xps some years ago with raid1 to have redundant data.  Thought all was well until recently when dell support felt the drives may be causing an odd failure on cold mornings (runs fine when the heat comes up).  Dell sent me two drives to replace the drives.  Not having much experience with RAID my understanding is open case, swap out one drive, let raid rebuild, swap out second drive, let raid rebuild. Ah the beauty of raid.

So I open the case, remove drive attached to sata1, close the case and turn on. Windows 7 notifies found hardware installs drivers seems fine.  No idea of if it mirrored the drive in sata0 or not.  Found Intel RST 10.0.0.1046 on the toolbar, says both drives are there doesn't really say much else.  So not knowing if anything happened I left it go for a week (thinking if it's mirroring it should match the drives up in a week right?).  After a week I open the case, replace the drive in sata0, close the case and power on.  Get the error "replace boot and press any key to continue".

Dug around some and found that the bios is set to atpi not raid but my understanding is you can have software raid which I assume dell set up on this pc.  But if this is really raid1 shouldn't the pc boot if the drive in sata1 is good and sata0 is a new blank drive.  I thought the concept of raid1 was if a drive crashes the other is a complete mirrored copy and can rebuild a new drive.

Cant find a whole lot of instructions but how can I make sure that the second drive really has a copy of my data and how do I correct the fact the second drive is not bootable.  I'd rather not go thru backing up and reloading (I know if I go into bios and switch to raid that way i'd have to format and reinstall) but shouldn't software allow me to just rebuild the second drive mirrored and bootable?

For the moment I'm now concerned because if the first drive goes I don't know that the second is in fact a copy.  Tried switching the second to the first and get failed boot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Safety in RAID 1?
          sylvia_intel

Hello Mpirosjr,

Understanding how Intel motherboards worked, which it may not necessary applied to your computer since it is a branded system; I would recommend you set the SATA as RAID on the BIOS before trying anything else.

If the system is now on IDE/AHCI/ATPI, it could be that the settings on BIOS were set as default and that could be the reason why you are not able to boot to Windows.

Once you change the SATA mode to RAID and if you are able to boot to Windows, you can use the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology to start the rebuilt of your RAID 1.

If you still have problems rebuilding the RAID, I recommend you to use a 3rd party software (like Symantic ghost) to create an image of the whole hard drive and save it on an external drive.

Once you backup all your information on an image, you can format the hard drives and then save the image on one drive and create the RAID on Windows.

Remember to set the SATA mode to RAID before to save the information again.

Regards.

1 of 1 people found this helpful