4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 1:04 PM by steve17a

DZ77BH-55K BIOS still ignores boot order

steve17a

I recently updated the BIOS to 100.  The hard drive boot order is still ignored.

It seems if there is a drive plugged in to a Marvell SATA port, it will boot from that drive.  If not, it will boot from a drive plugged into SATA port 0.

I should mention that I can force it to boot from the drive of my choice by using the F10 key.

• 1. Re: DZ77BH-55K BIOS still ignores boot order
          sylvia_intel

Hello Steve,

There used to be an issue related to the boot order when customers flashed BIOS version 0099.

If this behavior started just after the BIOS updated, we may need to do a BIOS recovery to the previous version to check if the behavior persist or not.

Please let me know if this begins after you installed BIOS version 0100?

Regards.

• 2. Re: DZ77BH-55K BIOS still ignores boot order
            steve17a

No.  It was there with 0099.

It may have always been there but wasn't noticeable.  I normally plug my main hard drive into SATA port 0.  I assume most people do it that way.  If there is no drive in a Marvell port, it seems the BIOS will boot from port 0 and usually that is what is desired.

I also have used BIOS version 0070.  The Marvell SATA ports don't work right with that BIOS version, so I didn't have a drive plugged in there.

In other words, the first time I was able to use the Marvell ports was BIOS version 0099, and that is when I noticed that it booted from a Marvell connected drive, unless I hit t F10.

• 3. Re: DZ77BH-55K BIOS still ignores boot order
              sylvia_intel

Steve,

We can try doing some basic troubleshooting in order to narrow down the issue and tryto  find out what is causing this behavior.

So please do the following:

• Test the system out of the chassis, minimal configuration please. (Motherboard, processor, power supply, 1 memory stick )
              • Remove the CMOS battery and leave the system without it for about an hour. Then put it back on and restart the system.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm?wapkw=clear+cmos+battery#datetime

• Connect one hard drive to SATA 0.
              • Add an additional hard drive on a Marvel SATA port.
              • Go to the BIOS and set the boot order you wish. Save the settings (F10) and exit.
              • Before the system boots, please go to the BIOS again to verify if the boot order is correct.

Let me know the results.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DZ77BH-55K BIOS still ignores boot order
                steve17a

Sylvia,

I can't do that.  The computer is in use.

Steve