Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Capacitance of an Intel Xeon processor

CHowd
Beginner

I am attempting to calculate the power output of an Intel Xeon Processor X5675 (3.066 GHz). In order to do this I need to know the capacitance of the CPU.

Can anyone advise please?

Cheers

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CHowd
Beginner

I'd previously examined this documentation. I'm afraid it doesn't divulge this information, which I find rather unusual.

Where do I go next to find this information out?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Processor capacitance is not specified since it is not a constant value; it varies from part to part. In general, you can use the equation P=C*V*V*f to determine what the processor's "dynamic capacitance" (Cdyn) once you've measured the power draw. "Cdyn" is workload dependent so it varies based on processor load. (In the equation, P=Power draw, C= Capacitance, V=VID, f= frequency).

0 Kudos
CHowd
Beginner

Joe, it is P that I am trying to calculate over a period of time, as described in the original post. As the workload on the CPU increases so will the power draw (an idle CPU can operate at 60% of TDP). I have disabled DVFS and Speedstep and am stressing the CPU to determine the load passing through it, in effect abstracting the concept of power consumption.

In short I'm an academic, writing a paper for an IEEE conference. The intention here is to abstract the notion of power consumption and I have developed a method of doing so. I'd really like to exchange and bounce ideas with the support of Intel. Can you or someone else get in touch privately please?

0 Kudos
JSEO9
Beginner

HI CHOWDEN

I am struggle with finding cpu capacitance. I am going to calculate p=cv^2f. so I need capacitance.

would you help me out?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I have sent you a private message.

0 Kudos