Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4859 Discussions

Can't connect to the internet in safe mode

EF2
Beginner

Hi, I need help connecting my computer to the internet in safe mode.

The computer has a Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection / Driver 13.4.0.139

software Intel@PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility 15.3.2.0

running in Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition

I need to run Firefox in Safe Mode but I have no connectivity.

This computer only has a wireless connection. I used to be able to download files & updates and get on the internet in safe mode before. Now the Utility software will show my network with the Connect button in gray (the only buttons in blue are Profiles... & Close).

(In case you wonder, yes, I'm sure I went into Safe Mode with Network Connectivity... three times)

Thanks for help, I hope I'm in the right place for ask this question.

If more data is need let me know.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello EmmanuelF,

Have you tried to use Windows* Wireless Zero (Auto) Configuration?

Go to Intel(R) Proset and from the Advanced menu choose Use Windows to Manage WiFi, you may need to do so in normal mode.

EF2
Beginner

Hi Joe,

Followed your advice and Internet is back in safe mode! Thank you!

Why should I leave Intel@PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility (correctly installed and working perfectly) taking care of my wireless connection when Windows Wireless Zero Configuration seems to do a good work and looks to have less memory load?

What I am trying to said is, maybe it's something really important to preferred PROSet/Wireless over

Wireless Zero; If that's the case I can go back and forth when needed; If not... well, bye bye PROSet/Wireless?
0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The benefits of using Intel® Proset/Wireless Wifi Connection Utility are: Intel® My WiFi Technology, the Administrator Tool and advanced authentication methods.

0 Kudos
EF2
Beginner

Hello Joe,

"The benefits of using Intel® Proset/Wireless Wifi Connection Utility are: Intel® My WiFi Technology, the Administrator Tool and advanced authentication methods."

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

For example 802.1x, which is mostly for enterprise security.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759077(v=ws.10).aspx Understanding 802.1X authentication for wireless networks: Wireless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.1X IEEE 802.1X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is good that you have found the user guide so you can see what the software offers.

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

0 Kudos