1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 12:01 PM by sylvia_intel

SATA RAID Controller update

Wavepax

The Intel Driver Update Utility provides a dead link of http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21852/a08/iata_cd.exe for downloading Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400/6 Series SATA RAID Controller version 11.6.0.1030.  What is the correct download link for this SATA RAID controller update?

I've installed a 4TB SATA internal drive on my Intel based computer.  The drive does not show up in Windows Explorer, but it does show up fine in the HP Diagnostics Tests in Windows 7 x64.   I suspect that the updated SATA RAID controller will solve the problem, but I cannot find the correct download location on your website.  What is the correct link?

• 1. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
          john_s@intel

Wavepax,

If you go to the Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400/6 Series SATA RAID Controller support page you link to and select Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver Fri, 22 Mar 2013 under the Latest Downloads heading, it'll take you to the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 12.5.0.1066. That's the latest one available.

Regards,

John

• 2. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
            Wavepax

The Intel Driver Update utility suggested the 11.6.0.1030 version.  Since I know installing the wrong driver on a system is very bad, I hesitated installing something with an entirely different name than what I was looking for (i.e., "SATA RAID controller" and "Rapid Storage Technology RAID driver" sound very different to me).  Your indicating to me that they are one and the same, correct?  Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
              john_s@intel

I was going off the link you provided to the latest downloads for the Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400/6 Series SATA RAID Controller support page. At the latest downloads driver the readme says:

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Release 12.5 is designed to provide

functionality for the following Storage Controllers:

• Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

• Intel(R) 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

• Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

• Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI/RAID Controller

• Intel(R) X79 Express Chipset

What specific chipset does your motherboard have? Is it an Intel motherboard? If so, you can try the same routine from that motherboard page. If not, have you looked to your motherboard manufacturer's download page for their latest driver?

John

• 4. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                Wavepax

I relied on the Intel Driver update utility (ActiveX/java app on this Intel web site) to look at my system and indicate what driver updates were available for this system (much like the Windows update system).  The

Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400/6 Series SATA RAID Controller

link was the one provided by the Intel Driver Update utility.  This description matches what Belarc Advisor shows to be my SATA RAID controller (the Intel ICH10R).  It is unclear to me whether this matches any of the listed controllers in the readme since they have a different name.  What do you think?  Does this apply to an Intel ICH10R SATA RAID controller?

Also, the existing Intel RAID software on my computer is called Intel Matrix Storage Manager.  This update wants to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software.  It might be an innocent renaming, but I want to double check before I install.   Thank you.

• 5. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                  Wavepax

My computer system has the following

Chipset: Intel X58

Southbridge: Intel ICH10R

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz

• 6. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                    john_s@intel

Matrix was the previous name, Rapid Storage Technology is what is used now. Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver version 11.7.0.1013 states:

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide

functionality for the following Storage Controllers:

RAID Controllers:

- Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller

- Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller 

- Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller

- Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller  

AHCI Controllers:

- Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

Is you BIOS mass storage controller set for AHCI?

You can find more information that may help determine specifics at the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) support page.

John

• 7. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                      Wavepax

My SATA mode is set to RAID in BIOS.  That should be OK.  My BIOS also supports AHCI SATA mode, and from what I've read, RAID mode incorporates all the goodness of AHCI mode.

So it definitely looks like version 11.7.0.1013 is a good version of the Intel RST that will work.  I will install that first and report back. 

Do you think later versions of Intel RST, such as the latest 12.x.... version, will also work?

• 8. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                        Wavepax

I just installed the 11.7.0.1013 version.  The good news is that the physical sector size is showing up correctly (4096B) in the Intel RST (it was not showing up correctly in the older Intel Matrix Storage software).  The drive shows up correctly in the HP diagnostics software and the Intel RST software.  It passes all the hard drive diagnostics tests.

Unfortunately, I still have the problem of the drive not showing up in Windows Explorer on Windows 7 x64.

Do you think I should try installing the latest 12.x version of Intel RST?

• 9. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                          Wavepax

I formatted the drive in GPT format and created a Volume with Disk Management in Windows 7 x64.  The hard drive is now showing up in Windows Explorer.

This Intel RST software update was necessary in order to use it as a RAID volume.  Currently, its a non-RAID disk.

• 10. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                            raghavsood999

I have the chipset: Intel HM65

I need the best download for that chipset only so please can you give me the link for that download?

my email is: raghavsood999@gmail.com.

Thanks really much.

raghav.

• 11. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                              raghavsood999

isn't the Intel HM65 also the series 6 chipset's?

my laptop is: hp pavilion dv6 6145tx.

• 12. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                                sylvia_intel

Raghav,  you can use the latest version available 12.8.0.1016 Download Center

• 13. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                                  apara

Sylvia,

I also have the following configuration:

ManufacturerDell Inc.
                                  Product05DN3X
                                  ChipsetIntel X58
                                  SouthbridgeIntel ICH10R

Should I get the latest 12.8* version or get the 11.7.0.1013 as previously indicated in this thread.  Is the latest version no longer supporting this hardware?

I am currently running Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.1.0.1088 software.

Thanks.

• 14. Re: SATA RAID Controller update
                                    sylvia_intel

Apara, I would recommend you to try Version 11.7.0.1013 first, since the motherboard you are using is a mature device.

1 2 Previous Next