Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Have I just destroyed my notebook's i7 processor?

BYeun
Beginner

So I made the calculated to change out my notebook's stock thermal paste with IC Diamond 7. As you all know, notebook CPUs are fully exposed dies. When I was applying the paste, the tip of the syringe touch the processor and left a hairline scratch across it. The scratch is visible to the naked eye under certain lighting conditions.

I freaked out and removed all the paste using q-tips and I realized that the thick IC Diamond paste has impart faint scratches on the otherwise pristine mirror finish of my i7 processor die.

Have I destroyed my processor/computer?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

At this point you may need to test the system to see if it works as there would be not way to know the impact that has been caused to the processor.

Furthermore, you should check with your Original Equipment Manufacturer on what do they recommend to keep the temperature values they established for this system without voiding the warranty.

0 Kudos
BYeun
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the reply. I fired up my machine and it is functioning normally. Temperature readings aren't much different from before the incident. Is it safe to say I'm in the clear?

One question, does the mirror surface of the CPU contain actual circuitry or is it merely a conductive layer for the heatsink?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

It should be a conductive layer as the cores and circuitry in the processor are not externally exposed, so you should be good to go.

My recommendation is to check with your Original Equipment Manufacturer for their recommendations on maintaining this system and what can be used to keep temperature values under their specifications.

0 Kudos