5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 9:01 PM by BuggyCode

UEFI Motherboard Entries

BuggyCode

Hi all

I sure this has been covered somewhere....

I have a DQ67SW board used in a system running Debian 7.1 .  Somehow I managed to get it to boot using UEFI.

I updated to the latest BIOS, now it will no longer boot under UEFI.  strangely when I removed the drive and added another blank hard drive, I still saw the debian entry as a boot option.  Where does this come from and how can I get rid of it?

Thanks...

BuggyCode

• 1. Re: UEFI Motherboard Entries
          BuggyCode

In addition,

I did try and clear the Bios and reset to factory settings.

• 2. Re: UEFI Motherboard Entries
            kevin_intel

Hello BuggyCode,

I am afraid to say that Linux Support is limited on Intel® products.

Have you tested the motherboard using a Microsoft* operating system version?

• 3. Re: UEFI Motherboard Entries
              ColdfireMC

try to clear CMOS bios memory, and manage  to boot without loader(i.e. a livecd) and reinstall GRUB bootloader on EFI partition. configure it to boot with debian

as kevin says, try to ensure that there is not another issue booting a Microsoft OS (i.e.Windows 7)

• 4. Re: UEFI Motherboard Entries
                BuggyCode

Hi

CMOS has been cleared, even battery removed and booting from a Microsoft OS is not an option in this case.

Thank you

• 5. Re: UEFI Motherboard Entries
                  BuggyCode

Hi

Little sad to see that in many  such questions are answered  by "Limited" or "No" Linux support. I gathered that....

I my case Microsoft is not a option - sorry....

Any way I managed to solve the issue - here is what was done.

The CMOS, Factory reset and battery removal  - all did not remove the UEFI boot entries.  I can sort of see why, however, why is there no option within the BIOS to remove unwanted entries?

Anyway, once I had built the Debian 7.1 system, and ensuring it was booting use UEFI, it was just a matter if running, (as root)

modprobe efivars

and run the efibootmgr command to remove the offending entries.

This can also be done using live Ubuntu disk and as far as I can rememberer  the Debian live disk worked as well -  as long they are booted using UEFI.  I did this be ensuring that UEFI boot option was selected in the BIOS, and the boot device is selected from the UEFI options.