12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 1:44 PM by neyuru

Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch

neyuru

Hi:

Is Intel Smart Response Technology related to Windows Prefetch/Superfetch? Would disabling the latter affect the functionality of the former? I have Windows 7 installed to an HDD which is accelerated with an Intel 320 SSD.T

thanks!

• 1. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
          kevin_intel

Hello neyuru,

SuperFetch and prefetch are storage management technologies in Windows that provide a fast-track access to data on traditional, slower hard drives. On SSD drives these really clever services only provide for unnecessary write operations. Typically, Windows 7 automatically disables these services for your SSD disk.

Since these services are part of the operating system are not related to the Intel® Smart Response Technology, the performance talking about the Intel® Smart Response Technology in your system should not be affected by this change.

• 2. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
            neyuru

Thanks, in other words, the Intel SRT service does not depend on Windows' Prefetch/Superfetch and they may well be disabled without affecting the functionality of SRT?

Excuse my confusion but as both technologies are infact "similar" (they cache the primary HDD) I was thinking that as Prefetch/superfetch store the caches inside the partition being used for the operating system and that these files are not movable, maybe Intel just found a way to move these caches in another partition (in this case disk -SSD-) for a faster acces time.

• 3. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
              neyuru

As a side note, my confusion was supported by Microsoft's own support article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727880: look at the section about disabling pre/superfecth:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Which clearly indicates that they recomend disabling the services if the OS is actually installed on the SSD (aka the SSD is the only disk in the system) and it will be of no gain to have them enabled for obvious reasons. But an Intel SRT accelerated HDD is another story...

• 4. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
                Arny006

Sorry to jump in the discussion.

We know now, if OS is on HDD is possible to accelerate it using RST.

It's mean that if the operating system already installed on SSD is the RST not necessary?

What's about OS installed on RAID composed of SSD?

Can RST switched off in BIOS/UEFI?

What's about Dual- or Multi-Boot PC? Do RST reserve place on SSD for each OS?

Thanks and regards

• 5. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
                  neyuru

Arny006 escribió:

Sorry to jump in the discussion.

We know now, if OS is on HDD is possible to accelerate it using RST.

It's mean that if the operating system already installed on SSD is the RST not necessary?

Unless you have a considerably faster drive than your current SSD (which is unlikely) and it conforms to Intel's SRT Technology, you can use it to cache the slower drive. An SSD is already fast enough.

What's about OS installed on RAID composed of SSD?

It is even less likely to find a volume that is considerably faster than your array so that it overcomes the I/O and CPU overhead when using Intel SRT.

Can RST switched off in BIOS/UEFI?

No, it is a Windows-based application. You can enable-disable it inside Windows using your IRST controller application.

What's about Dual- or Multi-Boot PC? Do RST reserve place on SSD for each OS?

You'll have to enable Intel SRT in each OS, possibly by partitioning your cache drive as many times it is needed for each operating system.

Thanks and regards

• 6. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
                    Arny006

are data stored by RST on SSD permanent?

Are the data there by reboot?

Are the data lost by shutdown?

What happen if Vista and W7 are installed and on both is RST enabled?

Is RST also available for Linux or MacOS?

thanks again

• 7. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
                      neyuru

Arny006 escribió:

are data stored by RST on SSD permanent?

Yes, the cache persists shutdowns and reboots.

Are the data there by reboot?

Are the data lost by shutdown?

What happen if Vista and W7 are installed and on both is RST enabled?

You must partition the drive allocating the desired cache size on each, for every OS you want to install.

Is RST also available for Linux or MacOS?

No,

thanks again

Be sure your system conforms to all requirements as seen on this page. Cheers

• 8. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
                        Arny006

You must partition the drive allocating the desired cache size on each, for every OS you want to install.

That's for me no so clear.

If I have two Win-OS's (Vista + W7 e.g.) I should partition the SDD in two parts (each the half) for using it with RST?

Which kind/type of partitions?

In the link is only the possibility to use 18GB or full-SSD-size.

• 9. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
                          neyuru

I had SRT enabled in my system and had it working for about 2 weeks. I also had prefecth/superfetch services disabled during this period and had configured SRT to "maximized" mode. After manually disabling the SRT, the following 2 events led me to indirectly confirm what Kevin initially responded:

1) It took the computer a little while for the Intel SRT controller to transition files that haven't been already written from the cache to the system disk.

2) Boot times increased.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
                            neyuru

Arny006 escribió:

That's for me no so clear.

If I have two Win-OS's (Vista + W7 e.g.) I should partition the SDD in two parts (each the half) for using it with RST?

Which kind/type of partitions?

In the link is only the possibility to use 18GB or full-SSD-size.

Primary partitions should do it, just use Windows formatting and partitioning tool to do it. They don't have to be of equal size rather the size you would like to cache for each operating system. The maximum file for the cache is 64GB

• 11. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
                              Arny006

Thanks everybody for the answers.

If I well understood SRT is (a Win programm) designed to accelerate HDDs trhrough SSD.

If a user have (e.g.) dualboot can make two partitions on the SSD and assign each to respectively OS. In that case is possible to increase the size of 18GB by limitation of SRT-partition.

In this case (if SRT enabled) the prefech and superfetch can be switched off.

Thanks all again and best regards.

• 12. Re: Intel SRT and Windows Prefetch/Superfetch
                                neyuru

I haven't tried dual booting and with ISRT on both OSes but it should be worth a try. Let's say you have a 120GB SSD and you want to allocate 40 GB to each OS (18GB is not a limitation of SRT, rather the minimum size permited to cache. Also, the max size is configurable up to 64GB). Rather following my previous instructions I would prefer this method:

1) Delete all partitions from the SSD (leave it unformatted)

2) Istall the 1st OS

3) Install ISRT there

4) Configure ISRT to your liking (allocate 40GB to cache on an unused space of the SSD, within the application)

5) Repeat steps 2-4 for the second OS. It is my assumption that ISRT should recognize the first allocated space for the first OS, but I could be wrong. If this doesn't work then you could try partitioning the SSD before the OSes instalations. And if this does not work, we're out of luck