6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 10:20 AM by sylvia_intel

BIOS RECOVERY PROBLEM

MichaelFares

Usually I'm the one who solves problems, but not this time.

I have an intel computer with windows xp on it. The power went down, and a BIOS update failed and it's giving me the repeated beep code with no screen. So I looked up how to fix it, and it tells me I need a VERY specific .BIO file, which is really hard to find. Instead of taking risks and just updating with the newest .BIO file, I turn to you. First, I need to know how to backup the BIOS in case the recovery fails and I can't redo the process. And

• Before updating the BIOS on the Intel® Desktop Board, manually record all BIOS settings that have been changed (from default) so they can be restored after completing the BIOS update.

I"m not sure what this means, because I can't open f2 to check any of the settings.

All I really need is the correct .BIO file. Which you will tell me. I don't know which .BIO file my computer has, but you could find that.

Here are all the specs that you'll need:

Board model: DH55HC

serial number: BTHC951007KP

AA #: E70933 - 501

And just in case you need all the parts.

here is a list:

Cooler Master ELite 335 ATX w/ Elite Power 460W PSU Black

Intel Core 3.33 GHz - i5-661 8M/LGA1156 Original Boxed

Intel DH55HC w/VGA+Sound+SATA+Lan&PCI Express

Kingston 2GB DDR3-1333 PC2-1060

WD 320GB 7200RPM SATAII 16MB Hard drive

LG GH22NS50-22X DVDRW - Dual Layer SATA w/SEcureDisk

Inno3D Geforce PCX 9500GT 1GB DDR3 DUal w/TV- OUT

Samsung 2033SN+ Wide 20" LCD Monitor

Please, ask me if you need any more information. Thank you for helping me.

• 1. Re: BIOS RECOVERY PROBLEM
          sylvia_intel

Hello Michael,

Before you can perform any kind of troubleshooting on this system we need to narrow down the issue in order to find out which is the problem.

It is very important to know how many beeps you are getting when testing the system out of the chassis, minimal configuration. (Motherboard, processor, power supply, 1 memory stick)

Please use the onboard video during this troubleshooting.

If you get 3 beeps, it means you have a memory problem, which could be cause by a defective memory stick or a defective processor.

Test the system with 1 memory stick at the time, or using a different memory DIMM.

Remove the CMOS battery and leave the system without it for about an hour. Then put it back on and restart the system.  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm?wapkw=clear+cmos+battery#datetime

Please let me know if you ever performed a BIOS updated on this system?

How many beeps are you getting from the system, without using the video card?

Regards.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: BIOS RECOVERY PROBLEM
            MichaelFares

Hey Sylvia,

Well, to make things clear, it's my cousins computer and he said this thing happened before, and they left it alone for a while, and it started to work again. So I'm not sure if he's done a BIOS update on the system. But when I was there, it was giving me two beeps, with a black screen. I looked on the intel website

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-010249.htm

and it told me the beep code was a "Repeating single beep" which meant it was a "BIOS recovery failure"

but this was when the video card was still in. I didn't try all the steps you told me yet, but I'll do it all sometime tomorrow and I'll get back to you in about two days.

And can you specify what you meant when you said "please use the onboard video during this troubleshooting"

Your help is really appreciated sylvia

• 3. Re: BIOS RECOVERY PROBLEM
              sylvia_intel

The onboard video means to use the integrated video that comes on the motherboard and processor. In other words removing the video card you will be use the onboard video.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: BIOS RECOVERY PROBLEM
                MichaelFares

So sylvia, I took out the battery and put it back in after 2 hours, and started the computer, and the beeping stopped, but I can't get the screen to turn on. I'm not sure what happened now. What do I do?

• 5. Re: BIOS RECOVERY PROBLEM
                  MichaelFares

Sylvia, thank you. The battery thing worked. And everything is working fine now, I'm tying to you from the broken computer now, and it's working good. But should I know what the problem was, or do some more steps to prevent anything, or is this good right now?

By the way, you're very professional with your clients.

• 6. Re: BIOS RECOVERY PROBLEM
                    sylvia_intel

Michael, thanks a lot for the feedback !!

It is hard to say the reason why the motherboard was giving you this behavior, systems are very picky sometimes.

Even thought this motherboard it’s a mature product, while you’re using the correct configuration and memory specs it should work fine. Some recommendations I could give you, are the following:

• Keep the system clean, no dust.
                    • Do not over clock the processor.
                    • Use the correct memory speed.

At this point the system should work without problems, however, please bear in mind that this product has reached its End of Interactive Support so Intel no longer provides support for this product via telephone, chat or e-mail.  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034322.htm

Regards.