5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 7:23 AM by wjvii

DH87RL won't POST

stata

I recently started a build based on the Intel DH87RL.  When all memory slots are populated with 8GB sticks (32GB total) the machine fails to POST.  In fact, the machine will begin its start up sequence, run for about 10 seconds, then reboot.  After roughly 5 cycles, the machine will finally throw POST error beeps (3 beeps, pause, 3 beeps, pause, 3 beeps, pause) and then finally restart the entire process again.

Interestingly, if I remove _any_ of the 4 sticks of RAM, the machine will boot fine.  The board has been flashed with the latest BIOS and the BIOS has been reset to factory defaults.  Memory tested includes Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0 16GB 240-Pin DIMM DDR3 1600 and Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin BLT4C8G3D1608ET3LX0.

Any solutions?

-Pete

• 1. Re: DH87RL won't POST
          stata

Update - I replaced one of the 8GB sticks with a 1GB for a total of 25GB and the machine boots fine as well.

• 2. Re: DH87RL won't POST
            stata

I reflashed the latest BIOS and now all is well.  Forgive the false alarm.

• 3. Re: DH87RL won't POST
              wjvii

I am having the exact same issue with 4 of these motherboards and flashing to the latest BIOS, twice, did not help. It works with 1, 2 or 3 8GB DIMMS but fails to boot properly if I install the 4th. I would have put it down to a bad board or bad BIOS flash or something but I have 4 of these systems and they all exhibit the same symptom.

I am using BIOS version 0320.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

• 4. Re: DH87RL won't POST
                sylvia_intel

Wjvii, the Engineering team is trying to recreate this problem since there are different components involved.

We are working on the following threads since they are regarding the same behavior.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/43812

http://communities.intel.com/thread/43897

Please provide me your system configuration in order to forward it to the Engineering team.

Processor:

Memory model number:

• 5. Re: DH87RL won't POST
                  wjvii

Thank you so much for the quick response.

I am using the exact same memory as this case apparently. The Crucial Ballistix Tactical Model BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0.

I have tried auto memory settings as well as XMP 1600 1.5V. Although the memory supports 1.35V I did not try that configuration.

I have 4 DH87RL boards, three with the i7-4770K processor and one with the i7-4770 processor.

The boards work with 1, 2 or 3 sticks of the memory but as soon as I put in the 4th it will not boot. I have 4 DH87RL boards all with the 320 version BIOS and they all exhibit this same problem.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Walter