2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 12:36 PM by Mee

Windows load times...

Mee

Hi All. I have a computer that I use for games, etc., with a core i7 2700K running at 3.5GHz. It has two fairly recent SATA 3 120G SSD drives in striped configuration. It's reformatted regularly (W7 64 Ult).

I also have an older computer that I use for more serious stuff. It has six identical SATA 2 drives with 32M caches configured in Raid 10. That computer only runs at 2GHz though (recently reformatted from scratch with W7 64 Ult).

Both computers have Intel Raid controllers. ESB2 I think in the old banger; P67 in the games computer?

You'd think (I'd think) that the fast computer running on the i7 with striped SATA3 SSD drives would trounce the old Xeon.

From boot, the newer computer takes 1 min 44 seconds to logon. The old one takes 1 min 7 seconds.

From Windows logo to logon, the new one takes 44 seconds while the old one takes 38.

Why is the striped array so slow, or the Raid 10 array so fast?

p.s.

ADATA SSD S510 120

OCZ Agility3

• 1. Re: Windows load times...
          joe_intel

Hello Mee,

There are different variables to consider here since you have different configurations not only in the RAID modes but in hardware specifications.

Was the performance degrading or always like this since the fresh Windows* installation? I see you have different brands of SSDs. Are the SSDs specifications regarding transfer rate similar? I did not fully understand, are they both Intel® P67 Chipset?

It is possible the SATA controller is not providing TRIM to the SSDs in RAID. TRIM in RAID is supported starting with Intel® Z77 Chipsets.

If you had identical systems it would be easier to compare the different RAID modes but still, for a striped array the booting time is very slow, it should be way less time. Hence, my thinking tells me that there is something related to the SSDs (in RAID) causing the issue. I may suggest testing with a single standalone SSD if possible.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Windows load times...
            Mee

Many thanks Joe. As I wrote in my original, the supposedly slower computer uses ESB2. It's XEON based. Interestingly, since posting, I've upgraded the 2GHz 2-core processors to 3GHz 4-core in the older ESB2 machine and it's slowed down boot time to log-in by 2 seconds! Apart from that, it's lightning.

There's something else at play here so I'm sorry for wasting your time. In the Windows performance index thingy the newer computer with the slow boot time reads 7.9 for disk transfer rate. I didn't think to look before I contacted Intel.

It's clearly a Windows or Bios issue since I regularly use a start up manager to disable everything apart from absolute essentials.

Thanks again. Great support service! Cheers, Martin