cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X58 - 520 SSD Raid0 and optimization Win 8.1

GHabe1
New Contributor

I have a Gigabyte GA X58 UD3R version 1 with a pair of Intel 520 120Gb SSD on my Intel Sata2 controller. I have the latest BIOS from Gigabyte as well as the latest chipset and RST from Intel.

When I first installed Windows 8.1, my array identified as a hard drive in the optimization tool and Windows wanted to defrag my SSDs. After an internet search I found that if I ran the command WinSAT diskformal from the shell line it fixed this.

I went to optimize my SSD the message change from needing optimization to optimization not available. As I recall that was the same message I got in Win8. I have downloaded Intel SSD Toolbox and it states that optimization is not supported in Win8 or Server 2008. The optimization appears to be functional in Windows 7.

My question is this: can I get my SSDs to optimize in Windows 8.1 and if not how long before my SSDs grind to a halt?

3 REPLIES 3

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

The optimization option may appear; however it may be cosmetic since only Intel® Z77 chipsets support TRIM over RAID.

PPier
New Contributor

I have a server running server 2008 R2 with a raid 1 2x intel 520 120gb ssd. It also will not optimized and I am wondering if I have to tell customer that his new server is going to fail sometime soon. The server is a dual quad e5-2609 processer s2600cp2 motherboard. ant help is appreciated.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Due to the lack of the TRIM command in RAID mode, the RAID volume will eventually face performance degradation in time depending on usage and it may be required to schedule some down time for optimization.