2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 11:06 AM by kevin_intel

Changing from AMD to Intel

5thHeaven

Home built desktop 2008, CPU fan packed in last week.Replaced fan everything else works but motherboard/cpu.. I now wish to upgrade my motherboard/cpu to intel. The remaining hardware is in good working order so have more to spend on motherboard/cpu (maybe new graphics card also.. Power unit Antec 500w, Hard drive WD caviar blue 500GB sata/16mb cache (+ 1TB usb external hd).. Patriot DDR2 800mhz- four x 2ghz.. Graphics card, PNY Ge-Force GT220 DDR2 .. My pc is used mainly for home entertainment also for my work with 3d engineering design softwares..I can install the parts myself (having an engineering background).. My issue is choosing compatible components..Any help would be wonderful..Many thanks Dominic.. ps: Old motherboard/cpu was Gigabyte GA-M56S-SE Sata2 Dual channel DDR2.. Amd Am2 64 4850e Dual core 2500ghz

• 1. Re: Changing from AMD to Intel
          EsaTuunanen

"Antec 500W" tells nothing solid because Antec brand has had PSUs from total Chinese time bombs (google Fuhjyyu for the parts used in some) to good ones. But good rule is that if it was cheap for the marketed wattage, then it has cheap Chinese capacitors inside and might well reach design goal of "expiring" while cut off from power during assembling new PC.

DDR2 memory doesn't work with any even remotely modern CPU, so you'll need to buy DDR3 memory regardless brand of new CPU.

2x4GB kit would be good minimum, or are those softwares you use heavy memory consumers?

Faster than 1600MHz speed costs lot more than it gives more speed so basically faster memory than that is waste of money unless you want to game with integrated GPU.

Also that GT220 graphics card was slow (as in slower than 3-4 years old top models) already when it was new and GPU integrated into Haswell is way faster in everything.

Haswell's GPU is even enough for many older and less demanding games. (though I suspect Crysis 1 from 2007 still puts it on its knee)

I don't see any reason to go for older design CPU so I would recommend Haswell in any case but for precise model available budget and ability of that particular design software to use high number of threads would be things to consider. (4770 has hyperthreading but costs ~50% more than 4670)

For motherboard lot would depend on what motherboards you have available in your country. (some brands not even available in certain areas and in small markets selection might be small)

LGA1150 is the socket type for Haswell so when searching motherboards you want to look for that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing from AMD to Intel
            kevin_intel

Hello 5thHeaven,

As EsaTuunanen mentioned, there are several factors that you need to check and confirm before upgrading the system you have to a newer one.

The latest processor platform Intel® has is called Haswell. This is Intel’s top product talking about processors. These types of processors use a socket type 1150 with 8 series Intel® motherboards.

Based on your description, I recommend you using an Intel® Core™ i7 processor either the i7-4770 or i7-4770K. The Intel® Core™ i7 includes a feature called Hyper Threading. Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology)1 uses processor resources more efficiently, enabling multiple threads to run on each core. As a performance feature, Intel HT Technology also increases processor throughput, improving overall performance on threaded software.

You can check more information at the following link:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html?

Besides the Intel® Hyper Threading Technology, the Intel® Core™ i7 family comes with the Intel® Turbo Boost. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology1 provides more performance when needed on 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor-based systems. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.

These two features are included on the Intel® Core™ i7 family only.

In the other hand, the Intel® Core™ i5 family comes with the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology only.

I would say that since you need to run 3d engineering design software the Intel® Core™ i7 will be a good option besides providing the best experience for home entertainment.

You can check the processor comparison list at the following link:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75047,75048,75122,75123

It is important to mention that for these systems, you need to upgrade the power supply and memory since it is a different platform than the one you previously used.

I hope this can be useful for you.