1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 1:25 PM by sylvia_intel

Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system

chucknelson

I have a new system built on the Intel H87-based DH87MC motherboard, running Windows 7 x64. I have one front/"inlet" fan hooked up to the front fan header, and one rear/exhaust/"outlet" fan hooked up to the rear fan header. Both run fine on initial boot or restart. The front fan is non-PWM (3-pin), while the rear fan is a Noctua PWM fan (NF-P12 120mm fan).

When I wake my computer from sleep, the rear fan attempts to spin, but then just stops. All other fans (front fan, CPU, GPU) spin up just fine. I've tried turning off auto fan control in the BIOS, upping the minimum fan threshold, etc., but nothing seems to fix this one issue. I've also hooked up other fans, like 3-pin non-PWM fans, and the same thing happens.

Could this be a BIOS problem? A Windows problem? I'm pretty sure it is not a bad fan problem, as I've tried multiple fans with the same results.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

• 1. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
          chucknelson

Some updates on troubleshooting this problem:

- I downloaded Parted Magic, booted from optical drive, ran "pm-suspend" in the terminal, woke from sleep, and had the same issue: fan starts to spin up, but then just stops.

- Decided to try just hooking up the Noctua rear fan to a molex, but then it ran full speed and was way too loud for my liking.

The rear fan runs great at start-up or after a reboot, it's a just a shame that I sleep my system most of the time, so the fan is now basically never running (which isn't great for the airflow in my case).

• 2. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
            yf38

Hi,

Maybe the cause is having two different technologies for the fans, PWM and DC.

However this is not very consistent with the different behaviour start / Wake.

Try using the same, PWM or DC.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
              chucknelson

yf38 wrote:

Hi,

Maybe the cause is having two different technologies for the fans, PWM and DC.

However this is not very consistent with the different behaviour start / Wake.

Try using the same, PWM or DC.

I will try that out, but seems like a strange restriction. This computer is also doing some random power-off-and-restart cycles during POST before it successfully boots into Windows as well, so it may just be a little broken all together. I'm hoping all of it is being caused by early BIOS bugs...

• 4. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
                sylvia_intel

Hello Chucknelson,

These are some recommendations for this issue:

• Test the system out of the chassis, minimal configuration in order to discard a grounding issue. (Motherboard, processor, power supply, 1 memory stick)

• Since you are using 2 fans with different technologies, please test one fan at the time. Front fan first and then the rear fan.

Regards.

• 5. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
                  DeathStar

I have exactly the same issue (same Noctua PWM fans too). When the computer goes to sleep, the fans turn off. After turn on, the computer runs, but the fans do not. Here's the interesting part, the fans do turn on, albeit for 3-5 secs after wake up, but then turn off. And remain off.

Here's what I've done so far. I installed the Intel XTU and fired up the CPU to 100% for five minutes hoping that it may be a temperature issue. Nope, the computer ran at full throttle and did not turn on the fans.

I changed the settings in the (visual bios) to receive 100% input from the CPU and  <60% duty cycle. Ok, so here's the strange thing. If you change the duty cycle on a case fan, all the fans change. So now the CPU fan as well as the case fans run at whatever setting the fan is!

Next thing I did was turn the fans to manual. Again, changing one fan changes all the fans!!!!!  But, the fans do turn on after sleep. However, this is not ideal as now the fans always run at whatever speed you've set them at.

What I want is a fan profile path where when the computer is cool the fans spin slowly and when the computer gets hotter, the fans ramp up. Not a single fixed speed.

PS - I've reset the bios - no difference.

Update1: When using Noctua fans, Duty Cycle must be 60% or greater!! Then it seems to work as it should (at least on manual mode).

Update2: Don't mix PWM and regular fans (even from the same company) on Intel 87 series boards! Tested it and it does not work properly.

Update3: Auto mode definitely does not work. If you set the fans to auto, put the computer to sleep, the fans will not resume after wake up. It does, however, in manual mode >60% duty cycle.

Update4: If you set the case fans to manual, but keep the CPU fan in auto mode and put the computer to sleep, the manual mode fans will spin, but the CPU fan will no longer spin regardless of load or temperature of the CPU.

Update5: Replaced the board for another one. Exactly the same problem. Changed the fans. Exactly the same problem. Same symptoms.

• 6. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
                    sylvia_intel

@DeathStar and @Chucknelson,

Could you please use the Intel® System Identification Utility using the following site?

http://www.intel.com/support/siu_la.htm?wapkw=%28siu%29

That will generate an 8 digits code called Report Reference ID.  Please let us have that code, this will provide us information on what is being detected on your system. In addition please fill in the following information:

AA number and Serial number of the motherboard:

Processor model:

Memory manufacturer and part number:

Wattage and model of the power supply installed:

Any other device installed:

Once I received this information I will provide this behavior to the engineering team

Regards

• 7. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
                      chucknelson

sylvia_intel wrote:

@DeathStar and @Chucknelson,

Could you please use the Intel® System Identification Utility using the following site?

http://www.intel.com/support/siu_la.htm?wapkw=%28siu%29

That will generate an 8 digits code called Report Reference ID.  Please let us have that code, this will provide us information on what is being detected on your system.

[Report Reference ID: 0201 1314]

In addition please fill in the following information:

AA number and Serial number of the motherboard: [AAG74242-401, S/N: BTMC31800XFF]

Processor model: [Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz]

Memory manufacturer and part number: [Kingston Technology HyperX Genesis 10th Anniversary Series 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 CL9 DIMM XMP Memory KHX16C9X3K2/16X ]

Wattage and model of the power supply installed: [1000 Watt -- Thermaltake Toughpower W0155RU Power Supply]

Any other device installed: [Nvidia GeForce GTX 770, Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB]

Once I received this information I will provide this behavior to the engineering team

Regards

Info above in bold and brackets. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
                        sylvia_intel

Chucknelson, thanks for the information provided. I'm going to forward it to the engineering team.

Regards.

• 9. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
                          DeathStar

0202 1443

AA number and Serial number of the motherboard: AAG74721-304

Processor model: 4770K

Memory manufacturer and part number: Corsair Vegneance Pro 1866

Wattage and model of the power supply installed: Corsair AX650 Professional (Haswell Certified)

Any other device installed: AMD 7870HD

• 10. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
                            DeathStar

Here's what I am particularly confused by. The Visual Bios allows for specific tailoring of each specific fan header on the board; even to the point of multiple influence from multiple systems (CPU, VRMs etc.). Why is that when you change the minimum Duty Cycle of one header - it affects all the headers - even when the other headers have lower duty cycles? For example, if I change the header Duty Cycle on a Rear Fan from 30 to 50, all the other fans run at 50 or higher! Again, even when they're set lower! Moreover, when you set any particular header to Manual - i.e. a fixed Duty Cycle - all the other headers run at the same fixed duty cycle! Why? They're set at automatic and they're set with lower minimum duty cycles. Again, why?

It's not like the fan controller does not work. After a wake call after a sleep cycle, the fans spin up, but then stop and remain quiescent. What's particularly disconcerting is that the CPU fan does NOT spin up!! Also, why is there no alarm???  I cannot use the IDU as an alarm tool because it installs its own SMB driver which runs all the fans at 100 percent all the time and regardless of bios settings I cannot slow them down! The SMB driver is incompatible with 87 series chipsets.

I can get around the case fan issue by installing my own fan controller which adds unnecessary wiring, but it's the CPU fan I'm worried about. Why doesn't it spool up after sleep either?

In any event, a restart from Windows will reinstate the fan settings - incorrect duty cycles and all. But at least they're spinning - until a sleep event occurs.

Btw, I've tried the PS compatibility mode - no difference.

• 11. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
                              sylvia_intel

DeathStar, I already escalated to our engineering team in order to get a solution ASAP.

I’m adding the behavior you are getting from the processor’s fan to the escalation.

In the mean time, what I can recommend you will be to take the system out of the chassis to avoid overheating. 

• 13. Re: Rear fan not spinning after wake from sleep, new Intel H87 system
                                UppyDan

Same issue here, although in my situation only one fan stops working.  I have an Antec 302 case and the fan on the top is the problem.  (Front Fan#2 in the BIOS).

Report Reference ID: 0202 5343

Processor Model: i5-4670 @ 3.4GHz

Memory: Kingston 8GB (x2) - SDRAM DDR3 1600

Power: CoolerMaster 650W

Graphics: GeForce 650Ti (1GB)

I updated to the recent BIOS (0344), and while that fixed a sluggishness problem the system had after waking from sleep, the top fan still does not run (except for a second or two after first awakening).  Also, if I put the system asleep a second time and wake it again, the top fan doesn't move at all, not even briefly.

1 2 Previous Next