9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 3:57 AM by Azeem

BIOS Support for VT-x

michelle.beck

Didn#t find info about: Desktop Motherboards with BIOS supporting VT-x.

I want to buy an E8500 Processor (Core 2 Duo) and a MB with G41, Q43 or Q45 chipset. Both processor and chipsets are announced to support VT-x. Having read that the critical point is that many motherboards have a BIOS with no support for VT-x I searched for info about that, but could not find any.

The board I want to buy is one of the following: DG41TY, DQ43AP, DQ45CB, DQ 45EK

• 1. Re: BIOS Support for VT-x
          Aryan2411

Hi Ken,

All I know is that VT-X is the processor feature and VT-d is the chipset feature. So if you have a CPU that supports VT-x and a board that has the VT-d feature in the BIOS. It should be alright for you.

Here are some useful links for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2006/v10i3/

To check CPU features:

I know for sure that all Intel Desktop Boards that support Intel Active Management Technology AMT, supports Virtualisation as this is important to make the machine a certified VPro Machine.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

06-06-2009 09-36-01.png

• 2. Re: BIOS Support for VT-x
            michelle.beck

Hi Aryan,

thank you for comment.

I checked these links before. So I did know that the E8500 and chipsets G41, Q43 and Q45 support VT-x. But as far as I know not all boards with these chipsets support virtualisation because it's no BIOS feature.

Looking at your screendump I see that the DQ45CB has that support in the BIOS. Maybe someone with a DQ43AP or a DG31GL can tell me, if these boards also have this in the BIOS.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Regards, Michelle

• 3. Re: BIOS Support for VT-x
              Aryan2411

Hi Michelle,

I know for sure that the board DQ43AP does support VT, as it is an AMT board. All boards with the 'Q' chipset supports AMT.

Now regarding the board DG31GL, i dont have a clue, to be honest, i've never used it.

Among all the boards, i prefer the DQ45CB.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: BIOS Support for VT-x
                michelle.beck

Hi Aryan,

I will go for the DQ45CB. Looking at the specs I think that it is the best choice.

For the DQ43AP I think you are wrong. Reading the the infos on the website again I found it explicite stated that there is no support for virtualisation. First time I was on the page I did not see this info.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Michelle

• 5. Re: BIOS Support for VT-x
                  unplugged_24

Hi there,

Please can you give me the link where you found it 'explicitly' states that this board does not support virtualization technology. Just to be sure.

As far as I know, any Q series chipsets boards have to support virtualization since they can be use for vPro.

Cheers.

• 6. Re: BIOS Support for VT-x
                    unplugged_24

Hi Michelle,

Please ignore my previous post. I think I've found it. I think you are right, the DQ43AP does not support 'virtualization' and it does not support AMT either. It has another new features (Intel Upgrade Service and Standard Manageability)  instead of AMT, that is why I guess it does not have virtualization. But I'm not sure yet. I will do some research and confirm it to you at a later stage.

But you can go for the DQ45CB, it's definitely a very good motherboard.

Cheers

• 7. Re: BIOS Support for VT-x
                      Aryan2411

Hi Michelle,

I have a good news for you. I have checked on the Desktop DQ43AP, it has VT support with the Bios 0024.

I will post the bios screenshot later. The board DQ43AP is quite cheap and is a basic board with some good features. Now i will vote this one for my second best. First one stays DQ45CB

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

• 8. Re: BIOS Support for VT-x
                        unplugged_24

Thanks Rajiv for confirming this. I was waiting for somebody who has this board to confirm whether it has the VT feature or not.

• 9. Re: BIOS Support for VT-x

Hi guys!
                          i too have wx58bp with core i7 920.
                          what i have concluded after reading your discussion here.
                          is that wx58bp should support virtualization.
                          Because Rajiv Doolub clearly stated that VT-d is the CHIPSET feature whereas VT-x is a processor

feature.
                          and one can see in the screen shot kindly provided by Rajiv Doolub that its also is a VT-d

feature, not VT-x?
                          so i think it(wx58bp) should support virtualization
                          I havent tried virtualization on my system yet.
                          but soon going to try it
                          @aab
                          have you tried to actually configure virtualization?