8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 9:53 AM by

Poor HDMI image quality on certain monitors (Text blurry, appears oversharpened, and colours dull)

Tedbob

From what I understand of the problem, my monitor, a Westinghouse L2410NM and other models from various manufactures transmits a confusing EDID to the grahpics driver. The graphics driver thinks that the monitor is an HDTV and outputs the wrong type of signal. I have experienced this exact same problem with both ATI and NVIDIA cards, however, in both cases, I was able to solve the problem. I am sure that a solution exists for Intel Graphics, we just need to find it.

As it stands, my HDMI output is basically unusable due to the following effects of the problem: Text is blurry, everything appears oversharpened, and the colors are dull.

Because this problem is exactly the same as the problem I had with my Nvidia card, I expect that the solution will be simular. The NVIDIA fix only requires a simple registy edit (after drivers installed), or driver inf edit (before drivers are installed). These edits override the monitor advertising itself as an HDTV. More information can be found here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58483&st=0&p=330319&#entry330319

What I need to know is where I can make those corresponding edits to the Intel drivers or location in windows Registry.

Currently I'm using Windows 7 Build 7100 with the newest Intel WDM 1.1 prerelease drivers that I've got from windows update:

Driver date: 2009.05.06.

Driver version: 8.15.10.1749

Mobile Intel 45 Express Chipset Family (GMA 4500M)